Zimbabwean forward, Khamat Billiat, is glad that he stayed with Mamelodi Sundowns’...
- Khama Billiat glad to have stayed with Mamelodi Sundowns
- Sundowns’ midfielder Keagan Dolly: Hard work pays off
- EXCLUSIVE | ZESCO star Clatous Chama on the verge of joining Ittihad of Alexandria
- Egypt draw Zambia and Mali in U-20 Africa Cup of Nations
- OFFICIAL: 75,000 allowed to attend Egypt qualifier against Ghana
- Momen Soliman: the best team won and Fathi could leave in January
- Pitso Mosimane targets Zamalek duo ahead of FIFA Club World Cup
- Mortada Mansour: ‘Magic and sorcery’ cost us
- Salah scores and assists in 4-1 win over Palermo
- VIDEO: Zamalek defeat Sundowns in Egypt but lose Champions League final
Al Ahly lose to Al Masry, lengthen title chase
The game was defined by defensive howlers for the Red Devils, gifting Al Masry goals.
Moussa Dao put Al Masry in the lead as early as 4 minutes into the game thanks to a mistake by Hossam Ghaly, failing to trap a simple pass from Sherif Ekramy.
Ekramy was unthreatened for a while after the opening goal, but Ramzy Saleh was busy as the Al Masry shotstopper denied brilliant chances from Walid Soliman and Malick Evouna after Rami Rabia’s header went slightly over the bar.
Despite dominating the number of chances, Al Ahly were punished from another howler by Ekramy and his defenders. Kabouria punished the lax defensive line to make the score 2-0 to the Port Said club.
John Antwi had a chance to pull back one goal in the second half shortly after being introduced as substitute, but his effort went slightly wide.
The Red Devils were completely stunned when Mosaad struck Al Masry’s third goal. Minutes later, Stoke City target Ramadan Sobhy pulled one from the spot to reduce the scoreline to 3-1. Hossam Ghaly added another for Al Ahly, but it was too little, too late, as the leaders fell 3-2.
The loss sees Ahly maintain a five point lead over rivals Zamalek, with three games left in the league.
Martin Jol’s side will be eyeing to put the loss behind them when they travel to Zambia to play Zesco United in the CAF Champions League this weekend.