KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
- Roma cruise past Sampdoria to reach quarter-finals
- Elmohamady: Uganda’s match is very important
- EXCLUSIVE: Union Española turn down Zamalek bid for Carlos Salom
- Burkina Faso duo Pitroipa, Zongo to miss rest of AFCON
Al Ahly lose to Al Masry, lengthen title chase
The game was defined by defensive howlers for the Red Devils, gifting Al Masry goals.
Moussa Dao put Al Masry in the lead as early as 4 minutes into the game thanks to a mistake by Hossam Ghaly, failing to trap a simple pass from Sherif Ekramy.
Ekramy was unthreatened for a while after the opening goal, but Ramzy Saleh was busy as the Al Masry shotstopper denied brilliant chances from Walid Soliman and Malick Evouna after Rami Rabia’s header went slightly over the bar.
Despite dominating the number of chances, Al Ahly were punished from another howler by Ekramy and his defenders. Kabouria punished the lax defensive line to make the score 2-0 to the Port Said club.
John Antwi had a chance to pull back one goal in the second half shortly after being introduced as substitute, but his effort went slightly wide.
The Red Devils were completely stunned when Mosaad struck Al Masry’s third goal. Minutes later, Stoke City target Ramadan Sobhy pulled one from the spot to reduce the scoreline to 3-1. Hossam Ghaly added another for Al Ahly, but it was too little, too late, as the leaders fell 3-2.
The loss sees Ahly maintain a five point lead over rivals Zamalek, with three games left in the league.
Martin Jol’s side will be eyeing to put the loss behind them when they travel to Zambia to play Zesco United in the CAF Champions League this weekend.