KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Helmy: Zamalek carried out gameplan perfectly
Zamalek manager Mohamed Helmy lauded the efforts of his team after their 1-0 victory over Enyimba in Nigeria, praising their perfect execution of his gameplan.
Zamalek defeated Enyimba in their opening game of the CAF Champions League group stages, despite playing in incredible conditions of a waterlogged pitch. The win puts Zamalek in second place of their group, behind South Africa’s Mamelodi Sundowns on goal difference.
After the match, Helmy remarked, “The players carried out the gameplan perfectly, so I congratulate and thank them, because they fought like men.”
He continued, “Zamalek fought in the match while playing in abnormal conditions, in which any other team would have opposed.
The White Knights manager expressed his pleasure at the team’s great performance and the importance of securing a win in their opening group stage match.
Meanwhile, Enyimba meanwhile Paul Aigbogun expressed his displeasure at the result, but he was happy with the performance of his team.
“Firstly congratulations to your country, we feel disappointed at the result, but not the overall performance,” Aigbogun told KingFut.
“We dominated the game but unfortunately conceded in my opinion a goal through an error.
“The weather made it a tough game for both sides. It is hard to say if the match should’ve went ahead or not as I’m not sure of the factors they (officials) took into account,” Aigbogun continued.
Furthermore, the final group member ES Setif may face elimination from the competition due to crowd trouble.