Iraqi side Al-Shorta have terminated the contract of Egyptian manager Mohamed Youssef by mutual...
- OFFICIAL: Mohamed Youssef leaves Al Shorta by mutual consent
- Ahmed Hassan: Salah has surpassed every Egyptian player
- Ahmed Hassan hopes prayers will stop Buffon from breaking his record
- Stoke City CEO: Ramadan’s success opens door for other young signings
- Zlatko Dalić reveals two reasons standing in his way from coaching Zamalek
- Al Ahly: Hefty fines awaiting players breaching media ban
- Al Masry train on Port Said Stadium for first time since 2012 massacre
- Adebayor: Egypt are getting closer to reaching World Cup
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
Ekramy: I’m Egypt’s number one goalkeeper
Al Ahly goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy believes he is Egypt’s number one keeper, despite being widely criticised for his recent performances.
Ekramy won the league title with Al Ahly after beating Ismaily 2-1 on Friday. The 32-year-old keeper has been faced with waves of criticism during the past weeks after conceding six goals in two matches, against Al Masry in the league and Zesco United in the CAF Champions League.
“I see myself as Egypt’s number one goalkeeper at the current period, and I don’t pay attention to criticism from the media,” said Ekramy in a televised interview after his side’s victory over Ismaily.
“Statistics show that Al Ahly have the best defense in the league, and suffered the lowest number of defeats,” he added.
Al Ahly conceded 23 goals in 32 games this season and lost four games with two rounds remaining in the league.
“I’ve been Al Ahly keeper for five years and this is my 15th title at Al Ahly. I was named the best goalkeeper in Egypt for two years and seven coaches chose me to be the first keeper at Al Ahly,” Ekramy said.
Ekramy is Al Ahly’s first goalkeeper, while Ahmed Adel Abdel-Moneim and Mosaad Awad are substitutes. Despite the criticism, the Egypt international keeper seemed confident of his abilities.
“I don’t have a problem if Al Ahly decided to sign a new goalkeeper. They have the right to bolster their squad and I’m ready to compete against any keeper in Egypt,” he added.