Ghanaian midfielder Sulley Muntari returns to Italy after completing a deal to...
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
- Egypt name 36 players for CHAN 2018 qualifiers
- Ghana hold off Mali to reach AFCON 2017 quarter finals
- OFFICIAL: Karim Mamdouh joins C.D Nacional on loan
Ekramy: I’m Egypt’s number one goalkeeper
Al Ahly goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy believes he is Egypt’s number one keeper, despite being widely criticised for his recent performances.
Ekramy won the league title with Al Ahly after beating Ismaily 2-1 on Friday. The 32-year-old keeper has been faced with waves of criticism during the past weeks after conceding six goals in two matches, against Al Masry in the league and Zesco United in the CAF Champions League.
“I see myself as Egypt’s number one goalkeeper at the current period, and I don’t pay attention to criticism from the media,” said Ekramy in a televised interview after his side’s victory over Ismaily.
“Statistics show that Al Ahly have the best defense in the league, and suffered the lowest number of defeats,” he added.
Al Ahly conceded 23 goals in 32 games this season and lost four games with two rounds remaining in the league.
“I’ve been Al Ahly keeper for five years and this is my 15th title at Al Ahly. I was named the best goalkeeper in Egypt for two years and seven coaches chose me to be the first keeper at Al Ahly,” Ekramy said.
Ekramy is Al Ahly’s first goalkeeper, while Ahmed Adel Abdel-Moneim and Mosaad Awad are substitutes. Despite the criticism, the Egypt international keeper seemed confident of his abilities.
“I don’t have a problem if Al Ahly decided to sign a new goalkeeper. They have the right to bolster their squad and I’m ready to compete against any keeper in Egypt,” he added.