Record eight-time champions Al Ahly will face South African outfit Bidvest Wits...
- Al Ahly to face South Africa’s Bidvest Wits in CAF Champions League
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores in Ittihad 2-0 win over Shabab
- Sundowns beat Mazembe to claim first CAF Super Cup title
- Dzeko speaks about partnership with Mohamed Salah
- Coulibaly excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Contractors clash
- Elmo ready for Hull’s training camp in Portugal
- Tunisia to play two warm-up games for Egypt encounter
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Abdel-Shafy excluded, Morsy plays full 90
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek reach Egypt Cup round of 16
- Veteran Egyptian coach Hassan Shehata confirms South Africa talks
Ekramy: I’m Egypt’s number one goalkeeper
Al Ahly goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy believes he is Egypt’s number one keeper, despite being widely criticised for his recent performances.
Ekramy won the league title with Al Ahly after beating Ismaily 2-1 on Friday. The 32-year-old keeper has been faced with waves of criticism during the past weeks after conceding six goals in two matches, against Al Masry in the league and Zesco United in the CAF Champions League.
“I see myself as Egypt’s number one goalkeeper at the current period, and I don’t pay attention to criticism from the media,” said Ekramy in a televised interview after his side’s victory over Ismaily.
“Statistics show that Al Ahly have the best defense in the league, and suffered the lowest number of defeats,” he added.
Al Ahly conceded 23 goals in 32 games this season and lost four games with two rounds remaining in the league.
“I’ve been Al Ahly keeper for five years and this is my 15th title at Al Ahly. I was named the best goalkeeper in Egypt for two years and seven coaches chose me to be the first keeper at Al Ahly,” Ekramy said.
Ekramy is Al Ahly’s first goalkeeper, while Ahmed Adel Abdel-Moneim and Mosaad Awad are substitutes. Despite the criticism, the Egypt international keeper seemed confident of his abilities.
“I don’t have a problem if Al Ahly decided to sign a new goalkeeper. They have the right to bolster their squad and I’m ready to compete against any keeper in Egypt,” he added.