Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
Panathinaikos release Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien
Michael Essien has been released by Panathinaikos, alongside three other players. Nigerian Abdul Jeleel Ajagun, German Jens Wemmer and Greek Stathis Tavlaridis were dropped together with Essien.
The midfielder has been plagued by injuries in the last few years including in his time at Panathinaikos. He was the highest paid player at the club but only made 12 appearances for them. Consequently he was dropped by the club as they look to trim their budget.
At one time recognized among the best midfielder in the world, Essien joined the Greek side in 2015 from AC Milan. He signed a two year contract but has been unable to nail down a place in the team due to injuries.
Michael Essien is now linked with a move to the Chinese Super League. The Ghanaian midfielder could join, his compatriot, Asamoah Gyan in China; who plays for Shanghai SIPG.