Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Panathinaikos release Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien
Michael Essien has been released by Panathinaikos, alongside three other players. Nigerian Abdul Jeleel Ajagun, German Jens Wemmer and Greek Stathis Tavlaridis were dropped together with Essien.
The midfielder has been plagued by injuries in the last few years including in his time at Panathinaikos. He was the highest paid player at the club but only made 12 appearances for them. Consequently he was dropped by the club as they look to trim their budget.
At one time recognized among the best midfielder in the world, Essien joined the Greek side in 2015 from AC Milan. He signed a two year contract but has been unable to nail down a place in the team due to injuries.
Michael Essien is now linked with a move to the Chinese Super League. The Ghanaian midfielder could join, his compatriot, Asamoah Gyan in China; who plays for Shanghai SIPG.