Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
Panathinaikos release Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien
Michael Essien has been released by Panathinaikos, alongside three other players. Nigerian Abdul Jeleel Ajagun, German Jens Wemmer and Greek Stathis Tavlaridis were dropped together with Essien.
The midfielder has been plagued by injuries in the last few years including in his time at Panathinaikos. He was the highest paid player at the club but only made 12 appearances for them. Consequently he was dropped by the club as they look to trim their budget.
At one time recognized among the best midfielder in the world, Essien joined the Greek side in 2015 from AC Milan. He signed a two year contract but has been unable to nail down a place in the team due to injuries.
Michael Essien is now linked with a move to the Chinese Super League. The Ghanaian midfielder could join, his compatriot, Asamoah Gyan in China; who plays for Shanghai SIPG.