Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Panathinaikos release Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien
Michael Essien has been released by Panathinaikos, alongside three other players. Nigerian Abdul Jeleel Ajagun, German Jens Wemmer and Greek Stathis Tavlaridis were dropped together with Essien.
The midfielder has been plagued by injuries in the last few years including in his time at Panathinaikos. He was the highest paid player at the club but only made 12 appearances for them. Consequently he was dropped by the club as they look to trim their budget.
At one time recognized among the best midfielder in the world, Essien joined the Greek side in 2015 from AC Milan. He signed a two year contract but has been unable to nail down a place in the team due to injuries.
Michael Essien is now linked with a move to the Chinese Super League. The Ghanaian midfielder could join, his compatriot, Asamoah Gyan in China; who plays for Shanghai SIPG.