Egyptian International Ahmed Hassan Koka featured as SC Braga secured a narrow...
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
- INTERVIEW: World squash number 4 Karim Abdel Gawad talks to KingFut
- Meteb excluded from Al Ahly squad against Petrojet
- Cúper recruits 10 international players for qualifier against Ghana
- Sanad’s La Rioja defeat Metalurg Handball in EHF Champions League
- Edin Dzeko talks about Mohamed Salah and regained form
- Khama Billiat glad to have stayed with Mamelodi Sundowns
Omar Gaber: I was ecstatic when I heard about Basel’s interest
FC Basel new signing Omar Gaber has discussed his move to the Swiss giants, speaking about his memories, the difficulties he faced in his first days at Basel and his feeling after receiving the official bid from the club.
Gaber made the switch from Cairo giants Zamalek to Basel last month, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal with the Swiss league title holders.
The 24-year-old right back made his unofficial debut for Basel against St. Gallen, were they received a 4-2 defeat.
“My goal against Brazil in the U-20 World Cup was the best moment in my career. I was with the fine generation of Egypt national team with Mohamed Salah and Mohamed Elneny,” Gaber told Swiss newspaper Tageswoche.
“When my agent told me that Basel are interested in signing me I was ecstatic because I was aware of the success Egyptians like Salah and Elneny achieved there. The offer of Basel wasn’t the first I have received, I had a previous offer from Ligue 1 club Bordeaux but Zamalek management exaggerated in their financial demands and the deal didn’t go through.”
“In Egypt I used to study in American schools and that’s why I am fluent in English, it also helped me a lot in playing football since it allowed me to save time in order to train and play more.”
The former Zamalek player also spoke about his feelings at the very beginning of his Basel journey.
“I felt a bit lonely after arriving at Switzerland but I started to adapt to life here, also because my wife will join me soon. When I tell my friends in Egypt that my day starts at 07:00 they never believe me. In Egypt I sleep after midnight while here my day comes to an end at 22:00,” he added.