Zamalek Chairman Mortada Mansour has sent out a message to several top...
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
- Massimo Busacca tutors Egyptian officials on video assistance technology
- Volleyball: Red Devils beat Ahli Benghazi 3-1 in African Club Championship
VIDEO: Smouha hold Zamalek in Alexandria
Smouha scored a late equaliser to deny Zamalek the three points at the Alexandria Stadium, in their Egyptian Premier League encounter on Monday night.
The hosts came flying out of the gates in the first period, forcing Zamalek goalkeeper Ahmed El-Shennawy into numerous saves before the half-time whistle.
Nevertheless, the Whites held firm to go into the break at 0-0.
The roles were reversed in the second interval, as Mohamed Helmy’s men pushed Smouha hard in their search for an opener.
The deadlock was finally broken by the visitors on the hour mark, when Mohamed Ibrahim showed strength and balance to fend off a couple of challenges in midfield before expertly setting up Bassem Morsi.
The 2014/15 league champions missed more chances to score, as Smouha began to buckle under the pressure.
El-Shennawy was tested yet again on more than one occasion, with the home side relying on counterattacks, but was equal to the efforts thrown at him.
Nevertheless, defender Mohamed Ezzat ruined Zamalek’s clean sheet in the 88th minute, rising to head home from a cross.
Second-placed Zamalek remain seven points behind league champions Al Ahly, while Smouha sit in sixth place in the overall standings. The latter side can still finish in third place – and guarantee CAF Confederation Cup participation – with a win against Tala’a El-Gaish on Friday.