Egypt clinched the 2016 Women’s World Team Squash Championship title after beating...
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
- Afriyie: I advice Al-Ahly to sign Ebenezer Assifuah
- Spalletti comments on Salah’s absence ahead of Rome Derby
Alex Iwobi will not play for Nigeria in Rio Olympics
The Arsenal winger was included in the provisional 35-man squad announced on June 24 by the U-23 coach Samson Siasia.
Siasia expressed his frustration at Iwobi’s unavailability, saying that the player and his father failed to keep their promise, as they previously committed that Iwobi would represent the Nigerian team at the Summer Games.
“Alex Iwobi is not coming. I tried to call his father, but he wasn’t picking my calls. He used to call me frequently when he wanted his son to play for the country, but now that we need his son for the Olympics football tournament, he is not picking my calls,” said Siasia.
“But there is no problem, Alex remains my boy, I love him like my own son, but I am just disappointed that he and his father couldn’t keep the promises they made to me.”
It is the second loss for the Nigerians, after Kelechi Iheanach was reportedly forced to stay at Manchester City for the pre-season preparations.