KingFut covers all the action as Egypt take on Mali in their...
- LIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
Alex Iwobi will not play for Nigeria in Rio Olympics
The Arsenal winger was included in the provisional 35-man squad announced on June 24 by the U-23 coach Samson Siasia.
Siasia expressed his frustration at Iwobi’s unavailability, saying that the player and his father failed to keep their promise, as they previously committed that Iwobi would represent the Nigerian team at the Summer Games.
“Alex Iwobi is not coming. I tried to call his father, but he wasn’t picking my calls. He used to call me frequently when he wanted his son to play for the country, but now that we need his son for the Olympics football tournament, he is not picking my calls,” said Siasia.
“But there is no problem, Alex remains my boy, I love him like my own son, but I am just disappointed that he and his father couldn’t keep the promises they made to me.”
It is the second loss for the Nigerians, after Kelechi Iheanach was reportedly forced to stay at Manchester City for the pre-season preparations.