AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Alex Iwobi will not play for Nigeria in Rio Olympics
The Arsenal winger was included in the provisional 35-man squad announced on June 24 by the U-23 coach Samson Siasia.
Siasia expressed his frustration at Iwobi’s unavailability, saying that the player and his father failed to keep their promise, as they previously committed that Iwobi would represent the Nigerian team at the Summer Games.
“Alex Iwobi is not coming. I tried to call his father, but he wasn’t picking my calls. He used to call me frequently when he wanted his son to play for the country, but now that we need his son for the Olympics football tournament, he is not picking my calls,” said Siasia.
“But there is no problem, Alex remains my boy, I love him like my own son, but I am just disappointed that he and his father couldn’t keep the promises they made to me.”
It is the second loss for the Nigerians, after Kelechi Iheanach was reportedly forced to stay at Manchester City for the pre-season preparations.