The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Paulo stunner seals CAF Confederation Cup qualification for Smouha
Smouha have sealed automatic qualification for the African Confederation Cup after a 1-0 win over Tala’a El-Gaish on Friday at the Alexandria Stadium.
Smouha made an attacking start to the match, trying to breach the Tala’a El-Gaish defence as soon as possible with a win crucial for qualification.
Tala’a El-Gaish maintained possession for the majority of the first half hour, without posing any real threat to their opponents.
31 minutes into the first interval, 2014/15 Egyptian Premier League top scorer Hossam Salama ‘Paulo’ fired his side into the lead with a beautifully taken goal.
Any hopes of an unlikely comeback were extinguished when Mahmoud Badry saw red in the 78th minute, giving Helmy Toulan’s men a numerical advantage in the final ten minutes.
As the final whistle blew, Smouha’s players showed their ecstasy at securing African football for the upcoming season. Their 2017 CAF Confederation Cup campaign comes just two years after their 2015 Champions League campaign that saw them exit at the group stage.
Smouha’s win 1-0 over Tala’a El-Gaish rendered them in third place, with 55 points. Al Masry also collected 55 points over the course of the campaign, but trail Smouha in direct encounters and will have to hope two of the top three clubs reach the Egypt Cup final in order to qualify for the Confederation Cup along with the Alexandria club.
There was more good news for Smouha, as Paulo is likely to finish the season as top scorer for the second consecutive season, a feat last achieved 23 years ago by Ahmed El-Kass.