Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Omar Gaber: Reaching the World Cup must be our minimum target
Egypt international Omar Gaber spoke about his goals with the national team, the possibility of qualifying to the World Cup, and discussed his move to Basel.
Gaber made the switch from Cairo giants Zamalek to Basel in May, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal with the Swiss league title holders.
The former Zamalek player discussed the reasons behind choosing to join Basel and spoke about the club’s popularity in Egypt.
“Everybody knows Basel in Egypt. They have had good experiences with the club,” Gaber told Basellandschaftliche, in reference to Ahmed Hamoudi, Mohamed Elneny and Mohamed Salah, who have all played at the Swiss team.
“I am very happy to be in Basel. My teammates, FCB staff and everybody here are very friendly,” he added.
The Egyptian international also spoke about his goals with the national team, while discussing the Pharaoh’s upcoming challenges.
“We want to bring the title back,” said Gaber about the Africa Cup of Nations title, as Egypt secured its place in the 2017 African Cup of Nations in Gabon, after clinching top spot in qualifying Group G.
The qualification sees Egypt return to the African Cup of Nations for the first time since 2010, the last of their three-tournament winning streak.
“Reaching the 2018 World Cup should be our minimum target,” Gaber added.
Seven-time African champions Egypt were drawn against Ghana, Congo and Uganda in Group E in Africa’s final round of qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, as the Pharaohs will attempt to make their third World Cup appearance and their first since 1990.