Mohamed Salah scored a brace for his Roma side, who comfortably handled...
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
Omar Gaber’s Basel lose to Zenit in friendly
Egypt international Omar Gaber made his fourth friendly appearance for FC Basel, as the Swiss side were downed 4-1 by Russian outfit FC Zenit Saint Petersburg.
After making his early summer transfer to Swiss champions FC Basel, the 24-year-old right-back looked to use these pre-season friendlies as an opportunity to stand out in the team’s starting XI.
Facing five-time Russian Premier League champions FC Zenit Saint Petersburg at the Stade Saint-Germain, Basel looked to improve their pre-season form with a win against Mircea Lucescu’s side.
The first 15 minutes of the match were highly pressured from both sides, but with Zenit showing more promise. On the 15th minute, Basel gave away a penalty which was scored by Russian international Artem Dzyuba, making it 1-0 for Zenit.
Basel attempted to tighten their defense but it wasn’t enough as in the 35th minute Zenit doubled the score through Spanish midfielder Javi Garcia, making it 2-0.
The first half ended 2-0 and would go on until the 71st minute until Basel were seemingly able to turn things around, temporarily, with David Calla pulling one back for the Swiss champions.
However, just five minutes later Aleksandr Ryazantsev made it 3-1, and the match seemed to be out of reach for Basel.
Zenit were able to find the back of the net one last time as Mikhail Kerzhakov scored from the spot, making it 4-1.
Basel next face AS Monaco on Saturday, before concluding their pre-season with a friendly against Wolfsburg on July 24.