Enugu Rangers chief executive Christian Chukwu admitted they respect their CAF Champions...
- We are not afraid of Zamalek, says Enugu Rangers chief
- Pioli answers: Will Salah be key man for Roma against Inter?
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
- AS Roma to face Olympique Lyonnais in Europa League
- Smouha set date for Ulinzi Stars clash
- El-Hadary: I apologise to everyone at Wadi Degla
- Essam El-Hadary: I may leave Wadi Degla
- Former teammate talks about ‘scissors’ incident between Mido and Zlatan
Omar Gaber’s Basel lose to Zenit in friendly
After making his early summer transfer to Swiss champions FC Basel, the 24-year-old right-back looked to use these pre-season friendlies as an opportunity to stand out in the team’s starting XI.
Facing five-time Russian Premier League champions FC Zenit Saint Petersburg at the Stade Saint-Germain, Basel looked to improve their pre-season form with a win against Mircea Lucescu’s side.
The first 15 minutes of the match were highly pressured from both sides, but with Zenit showing more promise. On the 15th minute, Basel gave away a penalty which was scored by Russian international Artem Dzyuba, making it 1-0 for Zenit.
Basel attempted to tighten their defense but it wasn’t enough as in the 35th minute Zenit doubled the score through Spanish midfielder Javi Garcia, making it 2-0.
The first half ended 2-0 and would go on until the 71st minute until Basel were seemingly able to turn things around, temporarily, with David Calla pulling one back for the Swiss champions.
However, just five minutes later Aleksandr Ryazantsev made it 3-1, and the match seemed to be out of reach for Basel.
Zenit were able to find the back of the net one last time as Mikhail Kerzhakov scored from the spot, making it 4-1.
Basel next face AS Monaco on Saturday, before concluding their pre-season with a friendly against Wolfsburg on July 24.