Scottish outfit Kilmarnock have turned down a bid from African giants Zamalek...
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
Adam El-Abd signs for Shrewsbury on free transfer
Shrewsbury Town have announced the signing of former Egypt international Adam El-Abd following the termination of his contract with Bristol City.
The 31-year-old, who has terminated his contract with Bristol City, has penned a two-year contract that will keep him at the New Meadow until 2018.
Adam had 12 months still to run on his deal with Bristol City, but has found regular football hard to come by and has agreed to terminate his contract to join League One side Shrewsbury Town.
The Egyptian becomes Micky Mellon’s ninth capture of the summer and was signed to replace Nathaniel Knight-Percival, who has joined Bradford City earlier this summer.
Speaking to the official club website El-Abd said: “When you’re deciding your future, you have to consider a lot of things but I’m really happy to be here now and I’m glad to have the opportunity to play for Shrewsbury.
“I have played in this league and played quite a few games in the Championship too. I have been about and I am just pleased to get settled and sign a permanent contract.
“I want to try and make this my home now and hopefully we can have a good relationship and I can put in some good performances to help the team push up to the top half of the league.”
“I am very happy to be here and looking forward to the challenge ahead. I met the boys this morning and I am looking forward to getting on the training pitch and playing games for Shrewsbury Town. I know a couple of the lads and I have played against a lot of them so there are a lot of familiar faces around.”
Adam joined Bristol City in January 2014 after making a reported €1m switch from Brighton & Hove Albion, but he found himself out of favour as he made only 20 appearances for the Robins and was loaned out to Bury, Swindon and Gillingham.
El-Abd has represented the Egyptian national team seven times, scoring once against Uganda in a friendly game, but his last game came in September 2013 against Guinea in World Cup qualification which the Pharaohs won 4-2.