In an intensive interview with France Football Magazine, Mohamed Salah reflected on...
- Mohamed Salah reflects on career, lessons learned
- Salah speaks about youth, idols
- Mohamed Salah: “Our group is tough, but we are Egypt”
- Official: Egypt’s Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ joins Nacional on loan from Lierse
- AFCON Roundup: Ivory Coast draw as Morocco beat Togo
- Egypt did not play badly against Mali, says coach Hector Cuper
- Egypt lose to Sweden, face Croatia in World Handball Championship last 16
- Avram Grant demands injured players’ replacement in AFCON
- Zamalek reject Torino’s offer for Mostafa Fathi
- Malang Diédhiou appointed as referee for Egypt-Uganda game
Gaber starts as Basel slip to friendly defeat with Monaco
Going into the game, fans of both sides were interested to see their new signings in action. For Basel this included Egypt international Omar Gaber, as well as Ivorian striker Seydou Doumbia. On top of this were highly-anticipated Colombian defender Eder Alvarez Balanta and winger Mohamed Elyounoussi, who signed from River Plate and Molde respectively. Monaco were looking to see promising full back Benjamin Mendy, who recently signed from Marseille.
Early on in the game, Swiss winger Renato Steffen almost put Basel into the lead after his shot hit the post, only for young goalkeeper Badiashile to recover for the rebound.
Seydou Doumbia has experience in Swiss football following his prolific spell with Young Boys, and he appeared to be settling in well with Basel when he nearly broke the deadlock midway through the first half, but again he saw his shot hit the post.
Monaco started to dominate possession, and they soon made the possession pay when Brazilian attacker Boschilia opened the scoring with a shot from a tight angle after taking the ball around Vaclik.
In the second half, former FIFA Team of the Year player Radamel Falcao made an appearance for Monaco, after returning from his unsuccessful loan spells in England with Chelsea and Manchester United.
For the rest of the game, Monaco continued to dominate possession however Basel created the better chances, with Badiashile making another vital save late on, as well as several key tackles from Brazil international Jemerson.
Monaco fans and players alike will be looking to use this preseason and upcoming Ligue 1 campaign to take their minds off of recent events in nearby Nice, and this match will help to do that as they defeated Swiss giants Basel 1-0.