Al Ahly striker Souleymane Coulibaly was pleased with his performance against Sokar El-Hawamdia...
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
- Hector Cuper: Reaching World Cup is our main target
- CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani resigns
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
Ihab Abdelrahman temporarily suspended for doping
Egyptian athlete Ihab Abdelrahman has been temporarily suspended due to doping accusations from the International Olympic Committee.
With the Olympics set to start after 13 days in Rio De Janeiro, the IOC have decided to test all athletes including the Egyptian delegation participating in the events for doping substances.
This decision has been part of the IOC’s crackdown on doping following accusations of state-sponsored doping against Russian athletes.
Based on that decision, Egyptian Javelin thrower Ihab Abdelrahman has been tested by the World Anti-Doping Agency and has been accordingly accused of doping after finding traces of testosterone in his blood that has been taken externally and not been naturally produced biologically by the body.
The sample was taken from Abdelrahman on 17 April before being sent to a lab in Barcelona and the results have come out this morning with the decision to suspend the athlete.
The IOC have thus temporarily suspended the player until further tests have been made to ensure whether the preliminary results were positive or not. If the second results turn out negative, Abdelrahman will then be allowed to compete in the Olympics in Rio.
It’s worth noting that the 27-year-old has won a gold medal in this year’s Diamond League with a 87.37 meter throw and he was one of Athletes expected to win a medal for Egypt in this year’s Olympics