KingFut rounds up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup of...
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
Omar Gaber starts FC Basel league opener
FC Basel’s Omar Gaber featured in the season opener against FC Sion, as they cruised to a comfortable win against FC Sion.
It was a slow start for the game, in St. Jakob Park, where Omar Gaber first had his medical after signing with the Swiss giants back in May.
Sion’s Papa Moussa Konate received a yellow card and conceded a penalty in the 37th minute; attacking midfielder Matias Delgado converted the spot kick to give Basel the lead.
Just seven minutes after the penalty, Ivorian international Seydou Doumbia scored his debut goal, a powerful header assisted by Calla.
This put Basel in a strong position ahead of their second half, as the hosts’ tempo picked up, and they created several chances.
33-year-old Matias Emilio Delgado scored once again – from 16 metres out – giving goalkeeper Mitryushkin no chance.
Reto Ziegler and Leo Lacroix were booked in the final 10 minutes of the game, as the visitors showed their frustration.