Wadi Degla coach, Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’, took a throw back on his...
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
Omar Gaber starts FC Basel league opener
It was a slow start for the game, in St. Jakob Park, where Omar Gaber first had his medical after signing with the Swiss giants back in May.
Sion’s Papa Moussa Konate received a yellow card and conceded a penalty in the 37th minute; attacking midfielder Matias Delgado converted the spot kick to give Basel the lead.
Just seven minutes after the penalty, Ivorian international Seydou Doumbia scored his debut goal, a powerful header assisted by Calla.
This put Basel in a strong position ahead of their second half, as the hosts’ tempo picked up, and they created several chances.
33-year-old Matias Emilio Delgado scored once again – from 16 metres out – giving goalkeeper Mitryushkin no chance.
Reto Ziegler and Leo Lacroix were booked in the final 10 minutes of the game, as the visitors showed their frustration.