Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Omar Gaber starts FC Basel league opener
It was a slow start for the game, in St. Jakob Park, where Omar Gaber first had his medical after signing with the Swiss giants back in May.
Sion’s Papa Moussa Konate received a yellow card and conceded a penalty in the 37th minute; attacking midfielder Matias Delgado converted the spot kick to give Basel the lead.
Just seven minutes after the penalty, Ivorian international Seydou Doumbia scored his debut goal, a powerful header assisted by Calla.
This put Basel in a strong position ahead of their second half, as the hosts’ tempo picked up, and they created several chances.
33-year-old Matias Emilio Delgado scored once again – from 16 metres out – giving goalkeeper Mitryushkin no chance.
Reto Ziegler and Leo Lacroix were booked in the final 10 minutes of the game, as the visitors showed their frustration.