Zamalek goalkeeper Mahmoud Abdel-Rahim Gennesh expressed his happiness after first national team call-up...
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
Omar Gaber starts FC Basel league opener
FC Basel’s Omar Gaber featured in the season opener against FC Sion, as they cruised to a comfortable win against FC Sion.
It was a slow start for the game, in St. Jakob Park, where Omar Gaber first had his medical after signing with the Swiss giants back in May.
Sion’s Papa Moussa Konate received a yellow card and conceded a penalty in the 37th minute; attacking midfielder Matias Delgado converted the spot kick to give Basel the lead.
Just seven minutes after the penalty, Ivorian international Seydou Doumbia scored his debut goal, a powerful header assisted by Calla.
This put Basel in a strong position ahead of their second half, as the hosts’ tempo picked up, and they created several chances.
33-year-old Matias Emilio Delgado scored once again – from 16 metres out – giving goalkeeper Mitryushkin no chance.
Reto Ziegler and Leo Lacroix were booked in the final 10 minutes of the game, as the visitors showed their frustration.