Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’ was injured as Ittihad Jeddah beat Al Hilal 2-0 in...
- Kahraba injured as Ittihad defeat Hilal in Saudi Derby
- Aly Ghazal impresses as Nacional hold Sporting in Madeira
- INTERVIEW | Ahmad Fahmy – Fantasy Premier League’s current number one overall
- Ghana FA vice president announces readiness of Ayew and Asamoah for Egypt clash
- Mouscron coach: Trezeguet most talented player in our team
- Fabio Petruzzi: Salah added value to Roma
- Ghana’s David Accam confident of beating Egypt
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
Omar Gaber starts FC Basel league opener
FC Basel’s Omar Gaber featured in the season opener against FC Sion, as they cruised to a comfortable win against FC Sion.
It was a slow start for the game, in St. Jakob Park, where Omar Gaber first had his medical after signing with the Swiss giants back in May.
Sion’s Papa Moussa Konate received a yellow card and conceded a penalty in the 37th minute; attacking midfielder Matias Delgado converted the spot kick to give Basel the lead.
Just seven minutes after the penalty, Ivorian international Seydou Doumbia scored his debut goal, a powerful header assisted by Calla.
This put Basel in a strong position ahead of their second half, as the hosts’ tempo picked up, and they created several chances.
33-year-old Matias Emilio Delgado scored once again – from 16 metres out – giving goalkeeper Mitryushkin no chance.
Reto Ziegler and Leo Lacroix were booked in the final 10 minutes of the game, as the visitors showed their frustration.