Alexandrian Smouha SC was stunned by a fifth ACL injury this season...
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
Elneny features as Arsenal snatch late win over MLS All-Stars
Mohamed Elneny was subbed off after 67 minutes in Arsenal’s 2-1 friendly win against the All-Stars, with goals from Joel Campbell and Chuba Akpom securing victory.
A weakened Arsenal side faced up against the MLS All-Stars, with Arsene Wenger giving starts for Krystian Bielik and new-signing Rob Holding at centre-back. Elneny started alongside Francis Coquelin in the middle of the park.
Arsenal came out the strongest and were rewarded with a penalty after Laurent Ciman fouled Joel Campbell in the 11th minute. Campbell stepped up and dispatched the spot-kick calmly into the corner.
Close shots from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Elneny almost doubled Arsenal’s lead, but it was the All-Stars who made the most of their growing pressure.
Giovanni Dos-Santos found Didier Drogba in the box and after three tries the former-Chelsea striker put the ball into Petr Cech’s net.
The game was tied 1-1 at half-time and changes were made by both sides. Wenger brought on five players: debutant Granit Xhaka came on for Coquelin whilst Bellerin, Monreal, Iwobi and Chambers were given minutes.
Second-half sub Sebastian Giovinco almost gave the All-Stars the lead after forcing a save from Cech, before Xhaka also tested All Stars goalkeeper Blake’s reflexes with a long shot.
Elneny was taken off for Gedion Zelalem mid-way through the second half as both sides tried to find a winner.
A typical Arsenal goal was found in the 87th minute after brilliant build-up play led to a low cross which found youngster Akpom in the six-yard box.
Arsenal play Mexican side Chivas in Los Angeles next week as they prepare for the upcoming season.