Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Elneny features as Arsenal snatch late win over MLS All-Stars
Mohamed Elneny was subbed off after 67 minutes in Arsenal’s 2-1 friendly win against the All-Stars, with goals from Joel Campbell and Chuba Akpom securing victory.
A weakened Arsenal side faced up against the MLS All-Stars, with Arsene Wenger giving starts for Krystian Bielik and new-signing Rob Holding at centre-back. Elneny started alongside Francis Coquelin in the middle of the park.
Arsenal came out the strongest and were rewarded with a penalty after Laurent Ciman fouled Joel Campbell in the 11th minute. Campbell stepped up and dispatched the spot-kick calmly into the corner.
Close shots from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Elneny almost doubled Arsenal’s lead, but it was the All-Stars who made the most of their growing pressure.
Giovanni Dos-Santos found Didier Drogba in the box and after three tries the former-Chelsea striker put the ball into Petr Cech’s net.
The game was tied 1-1 at half-time and changes were made by both sides. Wenger brought on five players: debutant Granit Xhaka came on for Coquelin whilst Bellerin, Monreal, Iwobi and Chambers were given minutes.
Second-half sub Sebastian Giovinco almost gave the All-Stars the lead after forcing a save from Cech, before Xhaka also tested All Stars goalkeeper Blake’s reflexes with a long shot.
Elneny was taken off for Gedion Zelalem mid-way through the second half as both sides tried to find a winner.
A typical Arsenal goal was found in the 87th minute after brilliant build-up play led to a low cross which found youngster Akpom in the six-yard box.
Arsenal play Mexican side Chivas in Los Angeles next week as they prepare for the upcoming season.