Al Ahly manager Hossam El-Badry has announced his 22-man squad to face...
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
- Elmohamady’s Hull slump to disappointing loss against Middlesbrough
Elneny helps Arsenal finish pre-season with 3-2 win over Manchester City
The first half seemed to be leaning in Arsenal’s favour as the Gunners had several goal-scoring opportunities. However, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s chip-shot while one-on-one with Caballero was off target. Aaron Ramsey also should have done much better with header from a brilliant Alexis cross.
Arsenal were punished for their lack of clinical finishing as Sterling was able to make himself a yard of space from the right wing and cross the ball for Sergio Aguero who latched on and put Manchester City 1-0 up leading into half-time.
Mohamed Elneny replaced new signing Granit Xhaka at half-time and his presence was immediately felt. The Egyptian midfielder’s touches were sharp and his passes were played forward when possible. His movement also proved his exceptional fitness levels even at this stage in pre-season.
The Gunners were able to get back into the game through Walcott’s influence on the right-wing. His pace on the counter attack allowed him to find Nigerian international Alex Iwobi in the box who equalized.
Later, Walcott also exchanged a one-two pass with Alexis Sanchez before being played on goal and chipping Joe Hart for the 2-1 lead.
A late defensive error also allowed Nigeria-eligible Chuba Akpom his 4th goal in pre-season to give Arsenal a bit of breathing room at 3-1.
Kelechi Iheanacho rounded off a superb night for Super Eagles as he scored a consolation header from a cross for Manchester City to make the score 3-2.
With Santi Cazorla, Granit Xhaka, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere all struggling for 90 minute fitness, Mohamed Elneny seems to be a favourite to get a start against Liverpool in their first Premier League match against Liverpool on Sunday, August 14th.