Egyptian referee Gehad Gerisha has been chosen to take part in a...
- Egyptian Referee Gehad Gerisha to attend training camp ahead of World Cup
- Elneny plays 45 minutes in Arsenal’s win against Sutton
- Kenya’s Ayub Masika completes move to China’s League One
- VIDEO: Ayman Hefny scores brace in Zamalek 3-2 victory over El-Gaish
- Messi to visit Egypt for medical campaign
- Egypt U-20 defeat Kenya 3-2 in friendly ahead of AFCON
- Hossam Hassan: Africa believes in sorcery
- AFCON MVP Christian Bassogog moves to China
- Egypt court upholds 10 death sentences in Port Said stadium massacre
- Al Ahly set date for Bidvest Wits CAF Champions League clash
Rio 2016: Egyptian boxer Hossam Bakr advances to last 16
Egyptian boxer Hossam Bakr advanced to the round of 16 of Men’s 75kg category after a convincing performance against Merven Clair of Mauritius at the Rio Olympics.
The Egyptian boxer won all three rounds and showed real intent early on to take the first two rounds with little offense from the struggling Clair. The third round was somewhat even; however, the Egyptian weathered the storm to advance to the last 16 of the competition.
The 30-year-old will face Cameroon’s Dieudonne Seyi on Thursday. The Cameroonian defeated Colombia’s Jorge Palacios in the round of 32.
Bakr will be hoping to bring home the first Olympic medal for an Egyptian in the boxing competition since the 2004 Olympics in Athens, in which both Mohamed Elsayed and Ahmed Ismail captured bronze in the Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight divisions, respectively.
The 30-year-old boxer qualified to Rio after winning the bronze medal at the World Boxing Championship, which was held in October 2015 in Qatar.