Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Sara Ahmed: Competition was ‘fierce’, I’m delighted with the medal
Bronze medalist Sara Ahmed described the competition at the 69kg women’s weightlifting finals as ‘fierce’, and expressed her delight at finishing third in the final standings.
“The competition was far from easy; it was fierce. I managed to complete all six lifts and won a very demanding medal,” Sara Ahmed told UAE news outlet AD Sports on Thursday evening.
When quizzed about how long she had been preparing for the medal, she replied, “I have been working towards this goal for three years- I suffered a lot to achieve this.
“My mother and siblings were the first to call me and offer their congratulations after the event. I dedicate this to every Egyptian out there.
“I’m thrilled to have won this [medal]; the feeling is unbelievable, and my happiness was indescribable at the time.
The Egyptian described the stress she was under during the event: “If I had failed with any of my six attempts, I would have finished fourth. The nerves and effort were also an obstacle; I had only managed 140kg [clean-and-jerk] in training, so the 143kg I lifted today was a first for me.”