Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Egypt’s volleyball team exit Rio after loss to Argentina
After defeating Cuba 3-0, the Egyptians had a chance to cause an upset and qualify to the next round ahead of the matches against Russia, Iran, and Argentina. However, a loss against Russia and Iran meant Egypt’s volleyball team was out of the olympics.
Egypt started the match against Argentina with nothing to lease after being eliminated from the preliminary stages. The Argentines went up 14-7 in the first set and eventually won the set 25-16.
In the second set, the Argentines dominated and won the set 25-19, to lead the match 2-0. The third set was Egypt’s best set as the team took the lead for the first time in the match 16-15, but the Argentines eventually won the set 25-20 to lead the group with four wins and one loss.
Egypt had lost to Russia 3-0 (25-11, 25-17, 25-9) to make it difficult for the team to qualify to the next round. The Pharaohs were officially eliminated from the volleyball Olympic Games after their loss to the Iranian team 3-0 as well (28-26, 25-22, 25-16).