Defending champions Zamalek have advanced to Egypt Cup quarter-final after beating second-tier...
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
Martin Jol’s agent denies manager will leave Al Ahly
Jol was faced by a wave of criticism following a poor run of results, which saw the record eight-time African Champions League winners exit the 2016 competition as well as losing the Egypt Cup final to Zamalek.
Several news outlets suggested that the 60-year-old manager would exit Al Ahly, after a group of fans stormed the team’s training session on Tuesday, forcing its cancellation after insulting and attacking the players and the technical staff.
Jol’s agent Mohamed El-Habashy however denied Al Ahly exit reports. He said, “Jol is the Al Ahly manager until now, news reports about his resignation aren’t true.”
According to several news reports, Al Ahly chairman Mahmoud Taher has recently held a meeting with Jol, where they discussed the team’s latest results in order to decide the future of the former Tottenham manager with the Cairo giants.
Al Ahly will play their last game in the 2016 CAF Champions League on August 24, when they travel to Ivory Coast to face ASEC Mimosas in the final round of the group stage.
Al Ahly are officially eliminated from the competition as they now sit third on five points, three away from second-placed Zesco United.
Even if Al Ahly won their game against ASEC, while Zesco lost to Wydad, the Red Devils won’t be able to leapfrog the Zambian champions who have an edge over Al Ahly via head-to-head record.