KingFut continues to round up group stage matches of the 2017 Africa Cup...
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
Salah’s Roma capitulate at home to Porto, miss out on Champions League football
Roma needed a goalless draw or a win to progress to the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League group stage, after a 1-1 draw at the Estadio do Dragao on Wednesday.
Felipe silenced the home fans in the eighth minute, heading home from a set-piece delivery.
Salah was denied in the 37th minute by Casillas, as the Giallorossi looked for a much-needed equaliser.
Two minutes later, captain Daniele De Rossi complicated things for the capital club by receiving a red card for a rash tackle on Maxi Pereira.
Roma started the second half in the worst possible way, losing defender Emerson to another straight red card, also for a poor challenge.
The deflated hosts then capitualed completely, conceding in the 72nd and 75th minutes as their qualification hopes evaporated.
The final whistle only confirmed what Luciano Spalletti’s men already knew: there would be no Champions League football at the Stadio Olimpico this season.
As a result, Roma have qualified for the group stage of the UEFA Europa League, with the draw taking place later this week.
Salah and his teammates will be back in league action at the weekend, as they travel to Cagliari aiming to maintain their spot at the top of the Serie A table.