The UEFA Champions League trophy will visit Cairo on a two-day tour...
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
- Warda voted Man of The Match in PAOK’s win over Veria
- Ahmed Nagy: El-Hadary will go to the World Cup
- Former Enugu Rangers coach: Zamalek are not invincible
- Le Havre’s Taher Mohamed to play just 2 matches at U-20 AFCON
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
Basketball: Egypt face Algeria in U18 Women’s Championship opener
The official draw of the event, held in Cairo on Thursday evening, put Egypt in Group A alongside Algeria, Madagascar and Angola. The tournament will be held in Cairo between August 26 and September 4.
The FIBA Africa U18 Women’s Championship will kick off on Friday in Hall 3 at the Cairo Stadium, as Egypt will take on Algeria at 19:00 CLT in the opening match, while the rest of the teams will play on Saturday.
Egypt will be looking to add their second title in the history of the tournament after they won the title for the first time ever in 2010 by beating Nigeria in the final. The Egyptians claimed a second-place finish in 2014 after losing to five-time champions Mali.
The tournament will see the participation of nine teams, with the preliminary round being played in a round-robin format.
The full draw:
Group A: Egypt – Algeria – Madagascar – Angola
Group B: Mali – Mozambique – Tunisia – Ivory Coast – Uganda
The top four teams from each group will qualify to the quarter-final stage; meaning that all teams of Group A will reach the quarter-final while one team of Group B will miss out on the knockout stage.
The winner along with the runners-up will book their spots at the 2017 FIBA U19 Women’s World Championship set to be played in Italy.