The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Basketball: Egypt face Algeria in U18 Women’s Championship opener
The official draw of the event, held in Cairo on Thursday evening, put Egypt in Group A alongside Algeria, Madagascar and Angola. The tournament will be held in Cairo between August 26 and September 4.
The FIBA Africa U18 Women’s Championship will kick off on Friday in Hall 3 at the Cairo Stadium, as Egypt will take on Algeria at 19:00 CLT in the opening match, while the rest of the teams will play on Saturday.
Egypt will be looking to add their second title in the history of the tournament after they won the title for the first time ever in 2010 by beating Nigeria in the final. The Egyptians claimed a second-place finish in 2014 after losing to five-time champions Mali.
The tournament will see the participation of nine teams, with the preliminary round being played in a round-robin format.
The full draw:
Group A: Egypt – Algeria – Madagascar – Angola
Group B: Mali – Mozambique – Tunisia – Ivory Coast – Uganda
The top four teams from each group will qualify to the quarter-final stage; meaning that all teams of Group A will reach the quarter-final while one team of Group B will miss out on the knockout stage.
The winner along with the runners-up will book their spots at the 2017 FIBA U19 Women’s World Championship set to be played in Italy.