Alexandrian Smouha SC was stunned by a fifth ACL injury this season...
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
- Sports ministry approves establishment of Egyptian Rugby Union
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Trezeguet features as Genk thrash Mouscron
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
Ajayi: Maaloul encouraged me to join Al Ahly
The Cairo-based club completed Ajayi’s move from Tunisian side CS Sfaxien on a four-year deal for $2.5 million.
“I’ve received a couple of offers, some of them were from European club, but I decided to join Al Ahly. I’m happy to join The Red Castle, this step is very important for my football career,” he said.
“Meteb and the legend Abou Trika are my idols in Egypt, when I was a child I used to watch the legend them play with Al Ahly and the Egyptian national team, now I can’t believe that I will play side by side with Meteb and the rest of Al Ahly squad.”
Ajayi also said that his idol in Nigeria is ex-arsenal player, Nwankwo Kanu while Thiery Henry is his number one role model in football.
The 20-year-old joined the team’s training session after returning from Rio de Janeiro as he competed with Nigeria’s Olympic team and managed to win a bronze medal.
“Al Ahly is no less than Real Madrid or Chelsea, that’s why I decided to join the club in no time.”
The player confirmed that the reason why he did not participate regularly with Nigeria’s Olympic team was because of extreme fatigue after a hard seasons with CS Sfaxien and traveling to Brazil.
Ajayi also revealed that Al Ahly’s recent addition, Ali Maaloul, had a big role in completing the move.