Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
VIDEO: Omar Gaber assists first goal for FC Basel
Swiss League champions, Basel looked to continue their perfect record in the league when they hosted, fourth-placed side, Grasshopper.
FC Basel started strongly and scored two goals in two minutes, around the half hour mark. Icelandic winger, Bjarnason put the side ahead in the 28th minute. Seydou Doumbia doubled Basel’s lead in the 31st minute.
The visitors pulled a goal back late into the half to go to the break 2-1 down. The goal was scored by another Icelandic player, Sigurjónsson.
The sides improved after the break. But they were no goals, forcing the coaches into changes. Omar Gaber came on as FC Basel’s final substitution in the 80th minute. He came in place of a limping Adama Traore.
Six minutes after coming on, the Egyptian whipped in a cross which was translated to a second goal by Seydou Doumbia, to seal a 3-1 win.
This was Basel’s seventh consecutive win of the 16/17 Swiss Super League season, keeping them top of the league. They next play Ludogorets in the UEFA Champions League.