Mohamed Sanad’s Club Balonmano Naturhouse La Rioja beat Macedonian HC Metalrug to qualify to champions...
- Mohamed Sanad’s La Rioja qualify to play-offs in Champions League
- Ibrahim Nour El-Dein: I did not hesitate to rule this penalty
- Mansour: Zamalek won’t continue the league
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
VIDEO: Zamalek smash dismal Wydad 4-0 to all but seal final spot
Wydad came into the semi-final as the winners of Group A – which contained Egyptian champions Al Ahly – while Zamalek managed to progress after finishing in second place in Group B.
The hosts made the best possible start to a potentially tricky encounter; in the fourth minute, Mahmoud Abdel-Razek ‘Shikabala’ ran at the defence and let fly from 30-yards to find the bottom corner as the stadium erupted.
14 minutes later, Ayman Hefny capitalized on a horrendous backpass to double his side’s lead with a placed finish.
Ibrahim Salah went close to making it 3-0 in the 40th minute, but his shot from a tight angle was parried for a corner, and the Whites went into the break with a two-goal cushion.
Any hopes of a Wydad comeback in the second half were quickly extinguished in the 49th minute, when Bassem Morsy directed the ball into the back of the net following a grave error from John Toshack’s men.
The striker played a role in his team’s fourth and final goal, sending through Mostafa Fathi on goal before the latter dribbled past the goalkeeper and was adjudged to have been tripped, as the referee pointed to the spot.
The winger took the spot-kick himself, and rolled it into the bottom corner to put the finishing touches on a fine performance by the 2016 Egypt Cup champions.