The Egyptian national military team has managed to beat Canada 4-0 in...
- Egypt thrash Canada 4-0 in Military World Cup
- Baba Rahman to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Egypt keeper Ahmed El-Shennawy sheds light on AFCON injury
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
VIDEO: Abdallah El-Said penalty snatches tough win against Ismaily
Al Ahly scraped a hard-fought 1-0 win against rivals Ismaily in both sides’ Egyptian Premier League opener on Saturday night, as Hossam El-Badry made a positive start to his second stint as manager.
The Cairo-based club came into the encounter without Rami Rabia, Ahmed Hegazy and Marwan Mohsen (injury), as well as the suspended Ahmed Fathy and Hossam Ghaly.
Amr Gamal started up front ahead of Emad Meteb and John Antwi, while new signing Junior Ajayi was omitted from the 18-man list.
12 minutes into the match, the reigning league champions were forced into a substitution, as Mohamed Hany replaced the injured Bassem Ali.
Mohamed Naguib missed from close range just after the break, before Abdallah El-Said hit the bar in the 56th minute as the Red Devils pushed for an opening goal.
With 15 minutes to play, Al Ahly were awarded a penalty and a chance to break the deadlock, and El-Said duly converted from the spot to put his side in the lead.
El-Badry’s men played out the remaining minutes to see out the result, and the 56-year-old will have been pleased to get off to a winning start.
Al Ahly visit Arab Contractors on Thursday, in the second round of league fixtures.