Mohamed Salah scored a brace for his Roma side, who comfortably handled...
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
VIDEO: Abdallah El-Said penalty snatches tough win against Ismaily
Al Ahly scraped a hard-fought 1-0 win against rivals Ismaily in both sides’ Egyptian Premier League opener on Saturday night, as Hossam El-Badry made a positive start to his second stint as manager.
The Cairo-based club came into the encounter without Rami Rabia, Ahmed Hegazy and Marwan Mohsen (injury), as well as the suspended Ahmed Fathy and Hossam Ghaly.
Amr Gamal started up front ahead of Emad Meteb and John Antwi, while new signing Junior Ajayi was omitted from the 18-man list.
12 minutes into the match, the reigning league champions were forced into a substitution, as Mohamed Hany replaced the injured Bassem Ali.
Mohamed Naguib missed from close range just after the break, before Abdallah El-Said hit the bar in the 56th minute as the Red Devils pushed for an opening goal.
With 15 minutes to play, Al Ahly were awarded a penalty and a chance to break the deadlock, and El-Said duly converted from the spot to put his side in the lead.
El-Badry’s men played out the remaining minutes to see out the result, and the 56-year-old will have been pleased to get off to a winning start.
Al Ahly visit Arab Contractors on Thursday, in the second round of league fixtures.