Roma grabbed a fantastic 3-1 away win over Inter Milan at the...
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
- Safwat to face Gael Monfils in Dubai Tennis Championship
- Egypt U-20 draw their first game in the AFCON
- Shikabala included in Zamalek squad for Haras El-Hodood Cup match
- EFA announce date for Arab Club Championship draw
- Al Ahly and Wadi Degla fined following league match controversy
- Karim Nedved confirms receiving an offer from La Liga club
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
Yaya Toure announces International retirement
The four times African footballer of the year decided to end his international career with Ivory Coast explaining in a statement how difficult it was to make such a decision.
“I’m sure this is the right time for me! The fact that I am 33 now, the intensity of training and the multitude of games are not the reasons why I am making this decision. Football is everything to me and it gave me so much in my career that I no longer feel able to set myself new goals as a player with the Elephants of Ivory Coast,” he stated in an official statement.
Toure started his career with ASEC Mimosas and made his debut when he was 18 years old. After that, Toure grabbed a number of European clubs’ eyes and moved to his first stop in Belgium playing for Beveren. He then joined Metalurh Donetsk, Olympiacos, and AS Monaco before moving to the Blaugrana in 2007.
— Didier Zokora (@dzokora5) September 20, 2016
Afterwards, he moved to the English Premier League joining Manchester City and helped the Citizens win their first league title in 44 years.
The 33-year-old midfielder represented his national team in the 2014 FIFA World Cup and six African Cup of Nations, captaining them to victory in 2015.
“I can still bring a lot to the players, to the youth of my country and to the African continent and to the world. I would like to give the children what football has given me. Football gave me a lot. It taught me many things, things of life. This is one of the most important lessons in my life. Thank you! God bless you!” he concluded.