The Egyptian national team has been valued to be the 25th most...
- REPORT: Egypt national team has 25th most expensive squad in the world
- Tunisia manager: Loss to Morocco will prepare us for Egypt clash
- EFA fines El-Maqassa, Al Masry following their league match
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
Gaber deputises at left-back as Basel scrape win
Egypt international Omar Gaber deputised on the left side of defence, as Basel battled to a tough 1-2 win away to Lausanne on Wednesday night.
Gaber, whose usual positions are right-back and defensive midfield, started on the left side of a four man defence in Basel’s eighth league match of the season.
Francesco Margiotta opened the scoring for the hosts in the 38th minute, as the reigning champions conceded their sixth goal in eight Super League matches.
Nevertheless, Birkir Bjarnasson equalised for Basel midway through the second period.
The action was not over; Lausanne Xavier Margairaz received a straight red card in the 90th minute, and the visitors took full advantage, with Eder Balanta scoring in stoppage time to snatch an eighth-straight win as the team continued its 100% record in the league.
The result sees Basel stretch its lead to 11 points at the top of the table.