Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
VIDEO: Lierse knocked out of Belgian Cup despite Zizo goal
Zizo’s goal was not enough for Lierse as they crashed out of the Belgian Cup after conceding a late goal despite leading for most of the match
Despite conceding the first chance of the match to Gent, Lierse S.K. opened the scoring in the 17th minute. Ahmed Said ‘Zizo’ headed home a cross by Anas Tahiri. The two combined again moments later but ‘Zizo’ did not manage to score the second time.
Gent grew in strength as the half went on. The Belgian First Division A side created a few chances, against the home team, but went to the break 1-0 down.
They continued their domination in the second half and their efforts were rewarded with a goal in the 65th minute. Rob Schoofs beat the Lierse goalkeeper from distance to draw his team level.
The goal galvanized the visiting team and they piled more pressure on Lierse S.K. Lierse made changes in attempts to raise their game; including subbing off Mohamed El-Gabbas for Aurélien Joachim.
Unfortunately for the home team, they were pinned back for the latter stages of the match. Lierse finally cracked to the pressure in the 91st minute. French striker, Jéremy Perbet tapped home after being set up by Milicevic, to win the game for KAA Gent.
The win put Gent through to the round of 16 of the Belgian Cup while Lierse are now eliminated after suffering their first loss of the season.