AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
VIDEO: Al Ahly continue winning start with 2-0 victory over Contractors
Contractors spent the first half sitting back inside their own half of the field, while Al Ahly controlled the possession, creating few scoring chances.
Al Ahly defender Mohamed Naguib opened the scoring after 18 minutes, heading the ball into Contractors’ net after an accurate cross from Ali Maaloul off the corner kick.
After Al Ahly took the lead, Contractors created few chances but their attempts were easily saved by Cairo giants’ keeper Sherif Ekramy.
The reigning champions were close to double their lead ahead of the break, as Ali Maaloul’s pass found Momen Zakaria, whose shot went inches wide of the left post.
The first chance of the second half fell to Contractors’ Mohamed Shaaban, who dribbled past Hossam Ashour and shot from outside the box but the ball went over the bar.
Al Ahly made it 2-0 in the 68th minute, as Ahmed Fathi delivered a well-placed cross for Abdallah El-Said who headed home past Contractors’ goalkeeper.
One minute before he was replaced by Karim Nedved, Walid Soliman wasted a chance to add Al Ahly’s third goal, as he dribbled past Contractors’ defender and went one-on-one with the keeper but his close range shot was saved.
Contractors were reduced to 10 men with around 10 minutes remaining as Shaaban was sent off after receiving a second booking.
Ghanaian striker John Antwi, who came on to replace Amr Gamal in the 57th minute, had a chance to extend his side’s lead in the dying minutes of the game, but he failed to score in an open net as the game ended 2-0 for the Red Devils.
Al Ahly are now on six points from their first two matches after they defeated Ismaily in their league opener, while Contractors remain on zero points as they lost their first game of the season to Ittihad of Alexandria.