Egypt international Aly Ghazal is on the verge of sealing a transfer...
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
- Late Abdallah El-Said goal eliminates Uganda from AFCON
Seeding for 2017 Africa Cup of Nations group stage draw announced
Egypt will be in pot three for the group draw of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations. This is as a result of CAF changing the criteria for ranking the qualified teams.
Previously, the African football governing body only considered the 3 preceding AFCON performances. This time, CAF determined the rankings by considering performance in the AFCON qualifiers (2012, 2013, 2015), FIFA World Cup 2014 and the qualifiers for FIFA World Cup 2014 as well.
Consequently, tournament favourites, Algeria landed in pot one; alongside Gabon, Ivory Coast and Ghana. The hosts, Gabon, will be automatically drawn into group A. Defending champions, Ivory Coast will be drawn into group C.
Pot two has perennial qualifiers Tunisia. Joining them in this pot are Mali, Burkina Faso and DR Congo.
Three former Africa Cup of Nations champions are in pot three, including Egypt. The others are Cameroon and Morocco. One of the tournament favorites, Senegal is also in pot three.
Uganda, Togo, Zimbabwe and Guinea-Bissau make up the final pot. None of the teams in pot four featured in the previous Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
— We Global Football (@We_Global) September 27, 2016
The draw for the group stage will be held on 19th October, 2016 in Libreville, Gabon.