Egypt’s Mohamed Safwat was knocked out of Dubai Tennis Championships from the first...
- Monfils eliminates Safwat from Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ahmed Elmohamady: Everything has changed at Hull City
- Al Ahly announce stadium for Bidvest Wits clash
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek advance to Egypt Cup quarters
- SQUASH: El-Shorbagy brothers to meet in Windy City quarter-finals
- Mohamed Elneny starts recovering from his injury
- CAF announce referees for Al Ahly and Zamalek Champions League encounters
- Egypt-owned Lierse fail to reach promotion playoffs
- Nainggolan double helps Roma beat Inter 3-1 at the Giuseppe Meazza
- Ramadan Sobhi starts in Stoke’s heavy defeat to Tottenham
Seeding for 2017 Africa Cup of Nations group stage draw announced
CAF has released the official seeding for the group stage draw of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, to be held in Gabon.
Egypt will be in pot three for the group draw of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations. This is as a result of CAF changing the criteria for ranking the qualified teams.
Previously, the African football governing body only considered the 3 preceding AFCON performances. This time, CAF determined the rankings by considering performance in the AFCON qualifiers (2012, 2013, 2015), FIFA World Cup 2014 and the qualifiers for FIFA World Cup 2014 as well.
Consequently, tournament favourites, Algeria landed in pot one; alongside Gabon, Ivory Coast and Ghana. The hosts, Gabon, will be automatically drawn into group A. Defending champions, Ivory Coast will be drawn into group C.
Pot two has perennial qualifiers Tunisia. Joining them in this pot are Mali, Burkina Faso and DR Congo.
Three former Africa Cup of Nations champions are in pot three, including Egypt. The others are Cameroon and Morocco. One of the tournament favorites, Senegal is also in pot three.
Uganda, Togo, Zimbabwe and Guinea-Bissau make up the final pot. None of the teams in pot four featured in the previous Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
— We Global Football (@We_Global) September 27, 2016
The draw for the group stage will be held on 19th October, 2016 in Libreville, Gabon.