Wadi Degla manager Ahmed Hossam ”Mido” has revealed that Al Ahly forward Emad...
- Mido: Emad Meteb would be welcomed at Wadi Degla
- Alain Giresse’s agent confirms Zamalek negotiations
- VIDEO: Egypt win 3-0 after a convincing performance against Togo
- Zamalek youngster Ahmed Aboul-Fetouh signs five-year contract extension
- Al Ahly’s Ahmed Adel: Ekramy is the best goalkeeper in Egypt
- Cuper offers advice to Roma star Salah
- Hector Cuper praises ‘incomparable’ El-Hadary
- Agent discusses Trezeguet’s future after Mouscron loan
- Al Ahly impose media ban on players following Meteb, Fathi comments
- EXCLUSIVE: Angola’s Beto excited to work with Flavio
Hayatou denies plans for Africa Cup of Nations expansion
CAF president Issa Hayatou has rejected the possibility of adding more participants to future editions of the Africa Cup of Nations, citing a lack of infrastructure as the reason.
Issa Hayatou will not follow in the footsteps of FIFA president Gianni Infantino; the latter aims to allow more countries to participate in the World Cup, while the former believes that such an expansion would not suit the Africa Cup of Nations.
“If there was no handicap originating from infrastructure we would have gone to 24 teams. There is no reason why it’s not done, but we are realistic,” Hayatou expressed.
“Lots of countries can’t accommodate a CAN with more than 16 teams. Europe does it because it has lots of stadiums. In Africa, when I was elected in 1988, it was eight, then 12 in 1992 and 16 in 1996.
“We may not always agree with the Cameroonians but on this one, it is clear that the leader is not wrong,” he concluded.