Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Al Ahly back on track after seeing off Al Masry at Borg El Arab
Following a 0-0 draw against ENPPI last week, the reigning league champions were desperate to clinch all three points to maintain their five-point cushion at the top of the table, but Al Masry promised to provide a stern test of their opponents’ credentials.
It was therefore surprising when Marwan Mohsen gave his side the lead in the third minute; the forward combined with Abdallah El-Said before capitalising on poor positioning from Al Masry goalkeeper Ahmed Busca to squeeze the ball into the far corner.
The Red Devils had a few more opportunities to double their advantage in the first half, but a combination of poor crossing and finishing ensured the scoreline would hold until the half-time whistle blew.
It was business as usual after the break, however, as Saad Samir scored his side’s second goal of the match in the 48th minute to edge Al Ahly closer to a vital win.
Salem Ahmed pulled one back for the Port Said side in the 81st minute, but Abdallah El-Said restored the two-goal cushion from the penalty spot with seconds remaining to seal a 3-1 win.
The win sees Al Ahly stretch their lead at the top of the table to 8 points, although Misr El-Maqassa have two matches in hand.