Al Ahly football director Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced that a media ban will...
- Cuper praises ‘incomparable’ El-Hadary
- Agent discusses Trezeguet’s future after Mouscron loan
- Al Ahly impose media ban on players following Meteb, Fathi comments
- EXCLUSIVE: Angola’s Beto excited to work with Flavio
- VIDEO: Egypt’s locals national team defeat Benin
- Ghanaian officials banned for sexual harassment
- Mortada: Alain Giresse has agreed to manage Zamalek
- Volleyball: Al Ahly crowned African champions
- Egypt’s general prosecutor reopens the Air Defence Stadium case
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
Algeria midfielder Saphir Taider to miss AFCON
The central midfielder suffered a knee injury during training. He is to be flown to Italy for treatment but it’s certain he will miss AFCON 2017.
Saphir Taider’s injury now forces George Leekens to reconsider his plans, only a few days from Algeria’s first match at AFCON 2017. They play Zimbabwe on Sunday.
Tunisia and Senegal are the other teams Algeria will face in group B.
The injury leaves Algeria short of experience. They already have to do without Sofiane Feghouli and Carl Medjani. The duo was not part of Leekens 23-man squad for the AFCON.
Arsenal’s academy midfielder Ismaël Bennacer, who is 19 years old, has been called up to replace the injured central midfielder.
The 24 year old Taider featured for Algeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He plays for Bologna, in the Serie A.