Héctor Cúper spoke about Abdel-Shafy’s situation, Elneny and Kahraba ahead of Egypt’s crucial encounter...
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
Algeria midfielder Saphir Taider to miss AFCON
The central midfielder suffered a knee injury during training. He is to be flown to Italy for treatment but it’s certain he will miss AFCON 2017.
Saphir Taider’s injury now forces George Leekens to reconsider his plans, only a few days from Algeria’s first match at AFCON 2017. They play Zimbabwe on Sunday.
Tunisia and Senegal are the other teams Algeria will face in group B.
The injury leaves Algeria short of experience. They already have to do without Sofiane Feghouli and Carl Medjani. The duo was not part of Leekens 23-man squad for the AFCON.
Arsenal’s academy midfielder Ismaël Bennacer, who is 19 years old, has been called up to replace the injured central midfielder.
The 24 year old Taider featured for Algeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He plays for Bologna, in the Serie A.