Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Hazem Emam: Egypt’s Hegazy, Gabr are better than Benatia
Former Egypt international Hazem Emam praised the Pharaohs’ centre-backs Ahmed Hegazy and Ali Gabr, saying they’re better than Morocco’s Medhi Benatia.
Al Ahly defender Hegazy and Zamalek’s Gabr have been rock-solid for Egypt in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations. They led the Pharaohs’ to the semi-final without conceding any goal in the process.
“Hegazy and Gabr are the best defenders in Africa without a doubt,” Emam, current member of the Egyptian Football Association, said on ON Sport satellite channel.
“With all due respect to Mehdi Benatia, defender of the Moroccan national team and Juventus, but Hegazy and Gabr are better defensively and offensively.
“But it’s luck, with all due respect to Benatia, he is a good defender, but he has an agent who promotes him well,” Emam added.
The Atlas Lions were eliminated from the AFCON after losing 1-0 against Egypt in the quarter-final.