Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Abou-Rida: Cuper is doing great with the national team
Egypt had lost 2-1 to Cameroon in the AFCON final on Sunday, thus failing to extend their winning record to eight. Despite his journey to the final, Cúper was continuously under intense criticism from the Egyptian media and fans for his defensive style of play.
However, EFA President Hany Abou-Rida was quick to show his support for the Argentine manager, who helped the Pharaohs qualify to the 2017 AFCON for the first time since being crowned champions in 2010.
“He has done his best since taking charge of the team and he has helped us build a new team,” said Abou-Rida, and continued, “There is no room for talking about ending Cúper’s contract.”
Abou-Rida also emphasized the EFA’s satisfaction with Cúper’s progress with the team, and rebuilding a strong team with several promising talents. Aside from AFCON qualification, Egypt beat Uganda and Ghana in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, putting it in a favorable position for qualification.
“He will stay as head coach, we like what he is doing with team,” he declared.
About-Rida added, “We are in a good place in the World Cup qualification and we dream we can reach the tournament in Russia in 2018. We all support him.”