Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Abou-Rida: Cuper is doing great with the national team
Egypt had lost 2-1 to Cameroon in the AFCON final on Sunday, thus failing to extend their winning record to eight. Despite his journey to the final, Cúper was continuously under intense criticism from the Egyptian media and fans for his defensive style of play.
However, EFA President Hany Abou-Rida was quick to show his support for the Argentine manager, who helped the Pharaohs qualify to the 2017 AFCON for the first time since being crowned champions in 2010.
“He has done his best since taking charge of the team and he has helped us build a new team,” said Abou-Rida, and continued, “There is no room for talking about ending Cúper’s contract.”
Abou-Rida also emphasized the EFA’s satisfaction with Cúper’s progress with the team, and rebuilding a strong team with several promising talents. Aside from AFCON qualification, Egypt beat Uganda and Ghana in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, putting it in a favorable position for qualification.
“He will stay as head coach, we like what he is doing with team,” he declared.
About-Rida added, “We are in a good place in the World Cup qualification and we dream we can reach the tournament in Russia in 2018. We all support him.”