Connect with us

African Football News

VIDEO: CAF Champions League – Zamalek, Ahly seal 1st leg victories

Ahly & Zamalek

Zamalek 1-0 Vita Club ()

An Ahmed Gaafar wonderstrike was the difference as Zamalek registered a 1-0 victory over Vita Club in the first-leg of the Champions League round of 32 tie at Alexandria’s Army Stadium. 

The game was mainly played in the middle of the park, with Zamalek dominating possession but not really threatening the opposition. On the 12th minute, Vita’s striker Kama blasted a powerful shot that only managed to hit the frame of the goal.

The rest of the first half was spent by Zamalek in Vita’s half, while Vita’s goalkeeper Long managed to pull out two wonderful saves to keep the game at stalemate going into the second-half.

The second-half started at the same tempo as before the first-half ended, with another brilliant save from Long. On the 67th minute, Ahmed Gafaar scored a wonderful goal with the outside of his boot, after a magnificent lay-off from Ahmed Hassan.

However, Gafaar didn’t celebrate his wonderful strike, instead he took of his t-shirt and asked to be substituted, which was met by resentment from his teammates, coach, and fans.

Viera sent on Hazem Emam and Abdulaye Cissé on a mission to try to kill the tie in Alexandria, however Zamalek failed to increase the scoreline.

Zamalek will face a tough return leg in DR Congo and will have to produce a great display to go through.

Tusker (Kenya) 1-2 Al-Ahly

scored a brace off the bench to score for the first time in eight months to help Ahly claim a 2-1 victory at Kenya’s Tusker in the Champions League round of 32.

A game which was highlighted by the return of ‘Ultras Ahlawy’ to the stands, after more than a year absence since the Port-Said massacre as dozen of fans travelled with the team to Kenya, and they weren’t disappointed.

This game was all about Al-Ahly keeping possession against a very poor side, playing on a very poor field, in a very hot environment. However, this didn’t stop the Reds from controlling the game, as in one stage of the game they had 90% of possession.

The first half finished 0-0, with no significant chances for both sides. Three minutes in the second half, Emad Meteb broke his 248 minute goalless record by tapping in ’s cross from the left flank.

Meteb then doubled his tally on the 57th minute, this time by heading in ’s cross from the right one. Two minutes later Tusker managed to make use of their only chance of the game, after Jesse Were managed to head in a goal to keep the tie alive.

Al-Ahly kept possession for much of the remaining of the game to see through an important away win.

Social Media & PR manager of Economics graduate from The American University in Cairo. Currently working in the IT sector. Jack of all trades. YNWA.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.



More in African Football News