Factfile: Meet the new Egypt national team technical staff
With the EFA announcing the new Egypt national team technical staff on Thursday, KingFut.com offers some background and interesting facts on each member.
As mentioned on Wednesday, Ahmed Hassan, Alaa Nabil, Osama Nabih, Abdel-Sattar Sabry and Mohamed Sallam have now officially joined the Egyptian national team technical staff led by Shawky Gharib, the EFA website announced on Thursday.
Gharib, former boss Hassan Shehata’s right hand man, was appointed as national team manager last week, following the expiration of Bob Bradley’s contract.
While the likes of the world’s most capped footballer Ahmed Hassan – who has retired from playing following his appointment – need no introduction, some of the other new members of staff are likely much lesser known to most.
Egypt National Team Technical Staff
Shawky Gharib – Head coach
- Only played for Ghazl El-Mahalla during his 15-year footballing career
- Former Egypt international midfielder (1 goal in 16 caps)
- Won the 1986 Africa Cup of Nations title as a player
- Won bronze with Egypt at the 2001 U-20 World Cup in Argentina as the head coach
- Lost every Athens 2004 qualifier as the head coach of Egypt’s Olympic team
- Won three consecutive Africa Cup of Nations titles as Hassan Shehata’s assistant coach in 2006, 2008 and 2010
- Led Smouha to third in Group A (behind Al Ahly & ENPPI) of the 2012/2013 Egyptian Premier League season before its cancellation
Alaa Nabil – Assistant coach
- Former Egypt international defender (Shawky Gharib’s team-mate)
- Won the Egyptian Premier League, Egypt Cup and the African Cup Winners’ Cup as a player with Arab Contractors; later coached them during the 2007-2008 season
- Scored the goal which qualified Egypt to the Los Angeles 1984 Olympics over Algeria; reached the quarter-finals in Los Angeles
- Previously served 12 years as Egypt’s assistant coach (1990-2002)
- Won the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations title as Mahmoud El-Gohary’s assistant coach
- Had brief stints as coach of Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr and Al-Faisaly of Jordan
- Coached Jordan’s U-23 national team from 2010-2011
Osama Nabih – Technical coach
- Former Zamalek and Egypt striker
- Won the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations title in Burkina Faso
- Won numerous trophies with Zamalek, including two league titles and the CAF Champions League title
- Spent a brief period in Turkey with Altay SK
- Has recently been working as Zamalek’s assistant coach under Jorvan Vieria and later Helmy Toulan
- Helped Zamalek end a five-year trophy drought by winning the 2013 Egypt Cup
Abdel-Sattar Sabry – Technical coach
- A former Arab Contractors attacking midfielder with 70 caps for Egypt (11 goals)
- Played in Austria and Greece (PAOK) before moving to Benfica
- Scored eight goals for Benfica, where he shined under Jupp Heynckes before falling out with José Mourinho
- Was in the same squad as Nabih that won the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations title
- Scored Egypt’s opening goal at the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup in Mexico
- Has recently been apart of Tala’a El-Gaish’s coaching staff
Mohamed Sallam – Goalkeeping coach
- Former Olympic Alexandria goalkeeper
- Included in Egypt’s Olympic squad for Barcelona 1992
- Called up to the Egypt national team in 1996 but never played an official match
- Recently worked with Gharib as Smouha’s goalkeeping coach
Ahmed Hassan – Team director
- World’s most capped international footballer (23 goals in 184 caps for Egypt)
- Winner of four Africa Cup of Nations titles (1998, 2006, 2008, 2010)
- MVP of the 2006 & 2010 editions of the AFCON
- CAF’s African Player of the Year (African-based) in 2010
- Won the Turkish Cup in 2006 with Beşiktaş, where he scored 30 goals
- Won three trophies with Anderlecht (League, Cup & Super Cup)
- Won three Egyptian Premier League titles with Al Ahly
- Won the 2013 Egypt Cup with Zamalek
/ 7 mins ago
Marwan Mohsen scored a brace as Al Ahly defeated Tala’a El-Gaish 2-0 in the...
/ 1 hour ago
Al Rayyan Turkish manager Bülent Uygun has admitted that he is interested in signing Egypt...
/ 5 hours ago
Former Man Utd striker Dimitar Berbatov believes that Mohamed Salah is yet to reach Lionel Messi’s...
/ 6 hours ago
Ismaily have put veteran goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary on the transfer list ahead of the upcoming window...