Ahmed Fathi: Al Ahly reject Nottingham Forest offer
Championship side Nottingham Forest were aiming to sign 29-year-old right back Ahmed Fathi from Al Ahly during the current transfer window, but a bid has been rejected by the Cairo giants, the player told Egyptian media on Tuesday.
Egypt international Fathi told reporters: “I received an offer from the English team to sign me, but the board of Al Ahly rejected it.”
“I’m committed to the board’s decision as I’ve got six months left on my contract,” he concluded.
Ahmed Fathi, who has been capped just over 100 times by his country, had a frustrating spell at Hull City in the Championship last year, as he was only given one start in seven appearances for the Tigers.
Fathi was runner up for the 2013 CAF Player of the Year (Based in Africa) after winning the 2013 African Champions League with Al Ahly, but Egyptian legend Abou-Treika beat him to the award.
Libyan side Al Ahly Tripoli were also on the verge of signing Fathi this winter, but Al Ahly (Cairo) coach Mohamed Youssef rejected the move last week.
Forest have also been continuously linked with Fathi’s team-mate, 19-year-old Al Ahly midfielder Mahmoud Trezeguet, but the club would only be willing to part ways with the starlet for a fee of £1million.
Fathi previously played in the English Premier League with Sheffield United in 2007, making only three appearances before being sold to Al Ahly.
/ 13 hours ago
Talaat Youssef has announced his 19-man squad that will face Génération Foot in the return...
/ 15 hours ago
Everton have signed Senegalese central midfielder Idrissa Gana Gueye to a new contract running...
/ 15 hours ago
Egyptian international defender Ali Gabr played his first match with West Bromwich Albion as...
/ 16 hours ago
Nigerian outfit Kano Pillars announced the death of the team’s defender Chinedu Udoji following a...