Where does Mohamed Salah rank among the most expensive Arab signings?
Following his move from Basel to Chelsea worth a reported £11.6 million (with add-ons and bonuses potentially increasing the fee to £16 million), Mohamed Salah became the most expensive Egyptian player in history.
The Egyptian moved to Basel from Egyptian club Arab Contractors in 2012 and spent a successful year and a half there, including scoring 3 goals against Chelsea in European competitions.
His move surpasses Mido’s £7.7 million move from Tottenham Hotspur to Middlesbrough in 2007, as well as the same player’s transfer for £6 million from Roma to Tottenham the previous year.
In addition, Salah is third on the list of most expensive Arab players (who represent Arab national teams), behind Moroccan Mbark Boussoufa’s £13.2 million pound move from Anzhi Makhachkala to Lokomotiv Moscow in August 2013 and countryman Mehdi Benatia’s £11.9 million transfer from Udinese to Roma in July of the same year.
The top 5 Arab transfers of all time:
1) Mbarak Boussoufa, Anzhi Machachkala -> Lokomotiv Moscow, £13.2 million (Moroccan)
2) Mehdi Benatia, Udinese -> Roma, £11.9 million (Moroccan)
3) Mohamed Salah, Basel -> Chelsea, £11.6 million (Egyptian)
4) Younès Belhanda, Montpellier -> Dynamo Kiev, £9.7 million (Moroccan)
5) Abdelaziz Barrada, Getafe -> Al Jazira, £8.8 million (Moroccan)
/ 6 hours ago
Zamalek manager Nebojša Jovović has praised his players after their 2-1 victory over Al-Nasr...
/ 8 hours ago
Mahmoud Alaa and Mohamed Ashraf ‘Rouka’ scored as Zamalek defeated Al-Nasr in the ninth...
/ 8 hours ago
Hossam Ghaly and Mahmoud Shikabala featured for Al Nassr and Al Raed respectively as...