El-Nenny, Gamal represent Egypt in 2014 CAF Player of the Year nominees
Out of 25 players, only Mohamed El-Nenny represents Egypt in the shortlist for the 2014 CAF Player of the Year (POTY) award, whereas Amr Gamal was chosen among 20 players for the African Player of the Year (based in Africa) award.
Egypt and FC Basel midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny has made it to the African Footballer of the Year shortlist for the first time, but the 22-year-old is a clear underdog as three-time CAF POTY winner Yaya Toure, Gervinho (Cote d’Ivoire, AS Roma), Mehdi Benatia (Morocco, Bayern Munich) and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon, Borussia Dortmund) have also been named.
Eight North African players are in the list: four from Algeria, two from Tunisia, one from Egypt and Morocco, including FC Porto’s Yacine Brahimi and Sfaxien’s Fakhreddine Ben Youssef, who scored the winner for the Carthage Eagles in 2014 AFCON qualifying against the Pharaohs in Cairo.
2014 African Player of the Year Shortlist:
1. Ahmed Musa (Nigeria, CSKA Moscow)
2. Asamoah Gyan (Ghana, Al Ain)
3. Dame N’doye (Senegal, Lokomotiv Moscow)
4. Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo, Tottenham)
5. Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting (Cameroon, Schalke 04)
6. Fakhreddine Ben Youssef (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
7. Ferdjani Sassi (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
8. Yao Kouassi Gervais ‘Gervinho’ (Cote d’Ivoire, AS Roma)
9. Islam Slimani (Algeria, Sporting Lisbon)
10. Kwadwo Asamoah (Ghana, Juventus)
11. Mehdi Benatia (Morocco, Bayern Munich)
12. Mohamed El-Nenny (Egypt, Basel)
13. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon, Borussia Dortmund)
14. Raïs M’Bolhi (Algeria, Philadelphia Union)
15. Sadio Mané (Senegal, Southampton)
16. Seydou Kieta (Mali, As Roma)
17. Sofiane Feghouli (Algeria, Valencia)
18. Stephane Mbia (Cameroon, Sevilla)
19. Thulani Serero (South Africa, Ajax)
20. Vincent Aboubakar (Cameroon, Porto)
21. Vincent Enyeama (Nigeria, Lille)
22. Wilfried Bony (Cote d’Ivoire, Swansea)
23. Yacine Brahimi (Algeria, Porto)
24. Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo, Crystal Palace)
25. Yaya Toure (Cote d’Ivoire, Man City)
For the Best African Player (based in Africa) award, Egypt’s Amr Gamal has been nominated for the first time. The 23-year-old has had a brilliant season with Al Ahly but was recently sidelined due to an anterior cruciate ligament tear suffered in an Egyptian Premier League match against Damanhour last month.
2014 African Player of the Year (Based in Africa) Shortlist:
1. Amr Gamal (Egypt, Al Ahly)
2. Abdelrahman Fetori (Libya, Ahly Benghazi)
3. Bernard Parker (South Africa, Kaizer Chiefs)
4 Bongani Ndulula (South Africa, Amazulu)
5. Akram Djahnit (Algeria, ES Setif)
6. Ejike Uzoenyi (Nigeria, Enugu Rangers)
7. El Hedi Belamieri (Algeria, ES Setif)
8. Fakhereddine Ben Youssef (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
9. Ferdjani Sassi (Tunisia, CS Sfaxien)
10. Firmin Mubel Ndombe (DR Congo, AS Vita)
11. Geoffrey Massa (Uganda, Pretoria University)
12. Jean Kasusula (DR Congo, TP Mazembe)
13. Kader Bidimbou (Congo, AC Leopards)
14. Lema Mabidi (DR Congo, As Vita)
15. Mudathir Al Taieb (Sudan, Al Hilal)
16. Roger Assalé (Cote d’Ivoire, Sewe Sport)
17. Senzo Meyiwa (South Africa, Orlando Pirates)
18. Solomon Asante (Ghana, TP Mazembe)
19. Souleymane Moussa (Cameroon, Coton Sport)
20. Yunus Sentamu (Uganda, AS Vita)
The Awards Gala, where the winners of the two categories will be determined, will take place on Thursday, 8 January 2015 in Lagos, Nigeria.
It is worth noting Egypt’s Mohamed Abou-Treika won the African Player of the Year (Based in Africa) award last year.
/ 8 hours ago
Al Ahly director of football Sayed Abdel Hafiz insists that the win against Esperance...
/ 9 hours ago
The draw of the African Handball Champions League has set Al Ahly and Zamalek...
/ 9 hours ago
Egypt international Mohamed Elneny has praised his compatriot Ahmed Hegazi following Arsenal’s victory over...