Connect with us

African Football News

VIDEO: Al Ahly lose 1-2 in first leg of CAF Confederation Cup final

Sewe Sport

Al Ahly lost 2-1 in the first leg of the final against Séwé Sport after an Ivorian winner in the 82nd minute.

The first half witnessed the Red Devils concede a penalty just after Walid Soliman wasted a goal opportunity before equalising in second half, however Djedje Guiza scored the winning goal eight minutes from time.

Al Ahly XI: Ahmed Adel; Bassem Ali, Saad Samir, Mohamed Naguib, Sabry Rahil; Hossam Ghaly, Hossam Ashour , Ahmed Khairy (Sherief AbdelFadil), Trezeguet, Walid Soliman (Moussa Yedan); Emad Meteb (Ramadan Sobhy).

Séwé Sport XI: Sisay; Aka Essis (Kodjo Cedric), Kodjo Kouakou, Kouakaou Amoro Junior, Quattara Ousmane; Souleymane Dembele, Ngoran, Kouman Koffi. Assale Roger; Kouao Hermann (Djedje Guiza), Kameni Kameni(Gabra Idrissa Halidou).

First Half:

The game kicked off with a lively performance from the Ivorian outfit with Souleymane Dembele hitting the bar in the 15th minute, but Walid Soliman missed an easy opportunity to put Al Ahly in the lead soon after.

Al Ahly conceded a soft penalty in the 21st minute due to a mistimed run from Ahmed Adel who received a booking after a tackle on Roger Assale. Kofi Kouame took the penalty kick and hit it in the top right corner to signal Séwé’s lead.

Séwé Sport dominated the midfield leaving the Egyptian champions struggling for on-goal opportunities. In the 31st minute Walid Soliman got tackled outside the box in a decent position but Meteb’s corresponding free-kick was easily handled.

The Red Devils tried to launch a quick counterattack with Trezeguet receiving a defence splitting pass into the box where his great run got cut short by Ngoran in the 39th minute.

Second Half:

Juan Carlos Garrido began the second half with two changes, introducing Sherif Abdel-Fadil instead of Ahmed Khairy and Ramadan Sobhy instead of Emad Meteb, who was the lone striker in the line up. Al Ahly thus switched to a three-man defence with Sherif Abdel-Fadil slotting into the centre back position next to Samir and Naguib, while Ramadan Sobhy took up an unfamiliar positon upfront instead of Meteb.

Just after 30 seconds from the start of the 2nd half, Séwé Sport launch an attack from the left side after a mix up in Al Ahly’s midfield resulting in them conceding possession, but Essis Aka shot was saved by Ahmed Adel.

Eric Castane, the Gabonese referee cancelled a Sherif Abdel-Fadil goal in the 49th minute after a Saad Samir foul on the Séwé goalkeeper. But again the Ivorian side looked lively with Ahmed Adel saving a a chance from Assaly who took a shot just outside the box.

The Ivorian team launched a left-sided cross in the 57th minute that fell to Kameni Kameni whose low ball barely missed the target.

Al Ahly equalised in the 59th minute against the run of play after a left sided counter attack, where Sabry Rahil hit a cross into Trezeguet who headed it to Ramadan Sobhy who in turn heads back to Trezeguet before the 20-year-old finished it off to make it 1-1.

Walid Soliman missed his second chance in the match after latching onto a Sabry Rahil cross, but Soliman’s header missed the target.

Trezeguet, Al Ahly’s goalscorer, got booked in the 78th minute after time wasting time during a throw in, thus meaning that he will miss the return leg in Cairo.

Sewe Sport scored their second in the 82nd minute after Moussa Yedan conceded possession before substitute Djdedje Guiza smashed the ball into the net.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.



More in African Football News