Connect with us

Egyptian Football News

VIDEO: Zamalek cruise past El-Gouna, momentarily go top


Basem Morsy and Ahmed Eid notched goals in a 2-0 win for the Whites, who are now top of the league table again, albeit with an extra game played.

Zamalek XI: Mohammed Abou-Gabal – Omar Gaber – Mohammed Koffi  – Ali Gabr – Ahmed Samir – Hazem Emam – Ahmed Tawfik – Ibrahim Salah – Momen Zakaria – Ayman Hefny  – Basem Morsy. 

XI: Amer Mohammed Amer – Sa’ad Hosny – Hassan El-Shamy – Sherif Reda (Mano) – Eslam Mohareb – Ahmed Afify (Karim El-daw) – Samuel Okran (Eslam Salah) – Ali Eid – Mahmoud El-Sayed – Sherif Ashraf – Amro Tarek. 

First Half: 

El-Gouna started the game aggressively, attacking their opponents with their first attempt on goal coming through Afify. He struck the ball from a distance as it missed the target completely.

As Zamalek tried to take control of the game, El-Gouna managed to counter-attack quickly with a long ball towards goal. A breakdown in communications between Zamalek left-back Ahmed Samir and goalkeeper Abou-Gabal, resulted in Samir heading the ball over the his keeper towards the goal, but the latter was quick to run back to his line and get hold of the ball.

As the game approached its first quarter, Zamalek, as usual, had gained full control of the midfield, and left their opponents depending on counter attacks to break the defensive line.

In the 43rd minute of the match, Omar Gaber’s cross was met by Basem Morsy’s head; the striker managed to get a good jump above the defence but his header was inches higher than the crossbar.

Second Half: 

El-Gouna once again started the second half on the offensive; Ali Eid’s shot from the edge of the penalty box forced a save from Abou-Gabal who took it out for a corner in the 47th minute.

In the 52nd minute of the match, Bassem Morsy took a splendid free-kick from the edge of the box; his shot was directed at Amer Amer’s top right corner, but it hit the crossbar and landed in the back of the net leaving the goalkeeper helpless and giving Zamalek the lead in the game.

Zamalek’s players got a dose of courage to fiercely attack El-Gouna. Bassem Morsy managed to spot Hazem Emam in the opposite corner of the penalty box. His swerved cross saw a both Hazem and Amer Amer go face to face and Hazem’s chipped shot struck the post to deny them a two-goal lead in the 60th minute.

In the 69th minute, El-Gouna looked like they could equalise as a long throw was misjudged by Ali Gabr. Eslam Mohareb took advantage this error and took a shot on goal but his shot was a few centimeters away from Abou-Gabal’s far post to keep the score unchanged.

Towards the last 10 minutes of the game, both teams had a battle of possession to score a goal as El-Gouna looked to equalise and Zamalek looked to secure their three points for their title challenge.

Ayman Hefny dribbled into the penalty box but was brought down by Amr Tarek as the decision was taken to award Zamalek a penalty. Ahmed Eid stepped up to place the ball in the middle of the goal and left Amer Amer diving to his right to give Zamalek their two-goal lead in the 84th minutes.

The offical showed 5 minutes of extra time on the board, but Zamalek had total control of the game. Ahmed Eid’s pass in the penalty box meant Basem Morsy had to dribble past two defenders to get a shot. He dribbled away from both easily but his weak shot in the center of the goal was easily saved by Amer Amer.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



More in Egyptian Football News