Morocco suspended from the next two Africa Cup of Nations
In a meeting today in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) have banned Morocco for the 2017 and 2019 African Cup of Nations and have levied $10 million in fines after failing to host this year’s tournament.
After a week of handling disciplinary action against other African nations, the CAF’s announcement to ban Morocco’s national team from competing in the next two tournaments is the maximum punishment the federation can give.
The fines against Morocco include a $1 million fine for failure to host the 2015 AFCON tournament as well as $9 million fine for damages.
Morocco was originally chosen as the AFCON host country, but in November, the country was stripped of its rights after requesting to postpone the tournament due of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
The announcement by the CAF came after a week of disciplinary actions against other African countries including fining Equatorial Guinea after fans stormed the pitch in yesterday’s 3-0 loss to Ghana. Tunisia was also fined $500,000 earlier this week and are at at risk of missing the 2017 AFCON tournament.
/ 7 hours ago
As the Egyptian national team are set to face Portugal in Switzerland on Friday...
/ 8 hours ago
Egypt national team coach Héctor Cúper said that Al Ahly’s Abdallah El-Said is in...
/ 8 hours ago
Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer believes that Mohamed Salah will break his record for...
/ 12 hours ago
Who would’ve thought that one day a 25-year-old Egyptian will be competing for the...