Egyptian Premier League to resume after one-month suspension
Egypt’s cabinet has decided Wednesday to resume the Egyptian Premier League on March 30, with games played behind closed doors after a one-month suspension.
The Egyptian Premier League was halted indefinitely after the Air Defence Stadium tragedy that left at least 20 Zamalek fans dead ahead of a league match with ENPPI early February.
The minister of interior and the youth and sports minister were present in the cabinet meeting that took the league resumption decision.
“There will be coordination between sports and interior ministries on the proceeding steps of the competitions,” the cabinet stated after their Wednesday meeting.
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) have previously announced that the resumption of the league depends on receiving an approval from the Ministry of Interior and the Cabinet of Ministers. They asserted that fans will not be allowed into the stadiums.
Head of FA Competitions Committee Amer Hussein told KingFut.com earlier this week that the 2014/2015 league could face cancellation if the Ministry of Interior do not agree to the FA’s revised game schedule by March 22, as they won’t be able to finish it
The league is set to make its return with Zamalek, currently at the top of the table, ENPPI in the second place and Al Ahly pressuring at third.
/ 2 hours ago
Township Rollers manager Nikola Kavazovic has revealed he doesn’t know anything about Cairo giants...
/ 4 hours ago
Egypt internationals Abdallah El-Said and Mohamed Abdel-Shafy have been included in Al Ahli’s pre-season...
/ 6 hours ago
Egypt veteran goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary assured that he is completely focused on performing well...