Connect with us

Egyptian Football News

VIDEO: Al Ahly keep slim title hopes alive with win over Petrojet

al ahly

Al Ahly kept their slim title hopes alive by defeating Petrojet 2-1 at the Suez Stadium on Tuesday night.

The home side took the lead via Shimelis Bekele, before Walid Soliman made it 1-1, all before Ahmed Magdy’s own goal sealed all three points for the Reds.

Al Ahly XI: Ahmed Adel; Bassem Ali, Saad Samir, Mohamed Naguib, Sabri Rahil; Hossam Ashour, Hossam Ghaly; Walid Soliman (Emad Meteb), Ramadan Sobhy, Abdullah El-Said (Amr Gamal), Ahmed Abdel-Zaher (Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’).

Petrojet XI: Mohamed El-Shennawy; Ahmed Shousha (Hesham Abo-Khalil), Islam Serry, Mohamed Dabash, Osama Mohamed, Ahmed Magdy, Ahmed El-Shennawy (Abdel-Aziz Emam), Shimelis Bekele, Mostafa Shebeta, James Teddy Owoboskini, Mohamed Ragab (Bilal Gamal).

First half

Shimelis Bekele put the Suez-based side ahead inside eight minutes when he made use of Hossam Ashour’s backpass, before finishing past Ahmed Adel.

Abdullah El-Said could’ve equalised for the Reds minutes later, but his strike was easily saved by Mohamed El-Shennawy.

The Reds continued their attacking onslaught, and should’ve had their second but Walid Soliman’s free-kick went inches over the bar.

Bekele was once again at the centre of trouble for the Red-Blues, but his shot was parried away by Ahmed Adel.

Al Ahly could’ve made it 1-1 just on the brink of half-time, but Ahmed Abdel-Zaher’s volley was saved by Shennawy.

The Reds were soon awarded for their efforts seconds before the half-time whistle when Walid Soliman’s perfect header found the net; 1-1.

Second half

Amr Gamal and Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ were introduced at the start of half-time, and their introductions did result in more zest in attack.

It was Petrojet though who knocked on the door for large parts of the half, James Teddy coming close on various occasions.

However, the Reds’ first real chance of the half came via Ramadan Sobhy who used his skill to go through on goal, before his finish was saved by Shennawy.

Al Ahly found the second goal minutes later, when Ahmed Magdy’s intended clearance found the net to make it 2-1.

Mostafa Shebeta had the chance to haunt his former side with a free-kick five minutes later, but it went wide of the post.

Sabri Rahil’s free-kick in injury time could’ve made it 3-1 but it was saved by Shennawy.

Al Ahly fanatic and Italian football aficionado. Working on a degree in Business Administration at the American University in Cairo.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



More in Egyptian Football News