Connect with us

Egyptian Football News

VIDEO: Al Ahly net three to dispatch Wadi Degla


(Photo via Wadi Degla Official)

In the postponed Matchday 21 Egyptian Premier League clash between Al Ahly and Wadi Degla, goals by Ramadan Sobhy, Amr Gamal, and Emad Meteb saw the Red Devils run out as 3-1 victors.


Al Ahly XI: Ahmed Adel; Bassem Ali, Mohamed Naguib, Sherif Hazem, Hussein El-Sayed; Hossam Ghaly, Hossam Ashour, Walid Soliman (Mo’men Zakaria), Ramadan Sobhy (Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’), Abdullah El-Said; Amr Gamal (Emad Meteb).

Wadi Degla XI: Haitham Mohamed; Sameh Abdel-Fadil, Tamer Moheb, El-Sayed Salem, Ragab Nabil; Mohab Said, Hamed Faisal (Ayman Adel), Mohamed Abdel-Ati (Ronald Kampamba), Mohamed Adel (Amr Marei); Dodo El-Gabas, Stanley Ohawuchi.

First half:

The opening ten minutes were tame, characterized by few half chances and many misplaced passes by both sides. Hossam Ghaly almost broke the deadlock twice in one minute after his powering header was pushed aside by Haitham Mohamed for a corner kick. Ghaly reached the resulting corner kick, but his glancing header missed wide of the mark.

Ahly did not have to wait much longer to take the lead. In the 13th minute, Ramadan Sobhy, who has reportedly caught the eyes of some European giants, finished off a glorious attacking move following a one-two with Abdullah El-Said to slot the ball home to give the Red Devils the early lead.

Al Ahly almost doubled their lead after 27 minutes, but Hussein El-Sayed’s close range shot was magnificently blocked by goalkeeper Haytham Mohamed.

The first half seemed to be ending with this scoreline as the match began to be played solely in the midfield without clear cut chances for either team. However, on the brink of half-time, Hossam Ashour played youngster Amr Gamal through on goal, who made no mistake to score his first goal since returning from an ACL injury.

Second half:

Wadi Degla started the second half on the front foot, with several chances just failing to test Al Ahly goalkeeper Ahmed Adel.

After 54 minutes, Al Ahly manager Fathi Mabrouk sent Momen Zakaria on to replace Walid Soliman. Three minutes later, a head-on collision involving Wadi Degla defender El-Sayed Salem and Ramadan Sobhy saw Sobhy needing to be replaced by Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ due to fears of a head injury.

In the 74th minute, the Red Castle completed their third and final substitution when Emad Meteb replaced goalscorer Amr Gamal. One minute later, Meteb missed a great chance to immediately put his mark on the game and push the score to 3-0.

Three minutes later, substitue Ronald Kampamba played Stanley through on goal, who then beat Sherif Hazem and rounded Ahmed Adel before calmly placing the ball into the net to make the score 2-1.

Trezeguet should have put the game beyond doubt ten minutes later, but he was well defended by goalkeeper Haitham Mohamed and he ran the ball out of bounds with a chance at goal beckoning. However, four minutes later, in the first minute of stoppage time, Emad Meteb made it 3-1 with a trademark glancing header following a Bassem Ali cross.

Al Ahly are now in second place, six points behind leaders Zamalek, who fell to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Misr El-Maqassa. Zamalek still have one game in hand.

Mohaned Ghanem, is a graduate of the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. Avid supporter of all things Egypt, especially Al Ahly. Gooner.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.



More in Egyptian Football News