Connect with us

International Football News

Arsenal edge closer to Champions League with Man City draw

manchester city

Photo: Arsenal Facebook page

Arsenal edged closer to secure a Champions League spot next season, as they came from behind to clinch a 2-2 draw against Manchester City at the Etihad.

Aguero got City off to a fast start as he gave his side the lead after only eight minutes. Fernandinho found Navas’ cross inside the box, nodded it down for Aguero, who fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Gael Clichy almost scored an own goal as he nearly headed the ball past Joe Hart, but his header hit the post.

Four minutes after the goal, Olivier Giroud scored a quick equaliser to bring Arsenal back into the game. Giroud headed the ball into the back of the net following a corner.

Wenger had to make an early substitution, as he took off Danny Welbeck, who picked up an injury after a tackle with Sagna, to replace him by Jack Wilshere.

At the thirty-minute mark, Man City were close to take the lead again. Petr Cech intercepted a through ball for Aguero and cleared it wide, but the ball found Navas who missed the target.

City continued to dominate the possession, appearing to be more threatening yet failed to score a second, for both teams to head down the tunnel for the break with a 1-1 draw.

Seven minutes into the second half, City took the lead again, thanks to individual effort from Kevin de Bruyne. He took off from around the halfway line, ran on goal beating Arsenal defense, before sending a low shot into the near post.

Few minutes later, City wasted a chance to double their lead. Iheanacho had a chance to score from the edge of the box, but his shot went wide.

Wenger brought on Walcott to replace Iwobi at the one-hour mark. Seven minutes after coming on, Walcott was close to level the scoreline but his shot went wide of the post.

Arsenal’s pressure paid off, as they scored an equaliser in the 68th minute following an exchange between Sanchez and Giroud, where the Chilean striker sent the ball past Hart.

Aguero was close to completing his brace after playing a one-two with De Brunye, but the Argentine striker volley went inches wide of the post.

The Gunners’ last substitution was in the 75th minute, as Francis Coquelin came on instead of Egyptian midfielder .

City substitute Wilfried Bony was close to score the winner in the dying minutes of the game but his volley hit the woodwork, for the game to end in a 2-2 draw.

Following Sunday’s draw, Manchester City’s chances of reaching next season’s Champions League are no longer in their own hands. Manchester United, who have a game in hand, are now just two points away from fourth-placed City.

On the other hand, Arsenal need only one point against rock-bottom Aston Villa in the final gameweek to secure a top-four spot.

Editor-in-Chief at Pursuing a master's degree in sport policy, management and international development at the University of Edinburgh.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.



More in International Football News