Connect with us

Egyptian National Team

Salah considering international retirement after World Cup – Report

Salah considering international retirement after World Cup - Report

Photo: Alex Livesey/Getty Images

is considering to retire from international football after the World Cup, according to the CNN.

The Liverpool winger is unhappy at what has happened in Egypt’s training World Cup base in Chechnya, after he was drawn into a political row.

A controversial picture of Mohamed Salah with Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov was taken before the World Cup, before Kadyrov made Salah an honorary citizen of the Russian republic last Friday.

READ: Chechen President Kadyrov: Salah is currently the best player in the world

“Mohamed Salah is an honorary citizen of the Chechen Republic! That’s right!” Kadyrov tweeted.

Photo: Matthias Hangst/Getty Images

“I gave Mohamed Salah a copy of the order and a pin at a celebratory dinner that I gave in honour of the Egyptian team,” he added.

The CNN reports that Salah is thinking about international retirement as he believes he has been used politically against his will and “feels exposed by what has happened in Chechnya”, a source told the news network.

The 26-year-old didn’t feature in Egypt’s World Cup opener against Uruguay due to injury, before playing the full 90 minutes against Russia, scoring the Pharaohs’ only goal in a 3-1 loss.

This is not the first time Salah has fallen out with the EFA. as before the World Cup, the winger and his agent were involved in a dispute with the EFA over an image rights issue.

12 Comments

12 Comments

1. ahmed

June 24, 2018 at 7:36 PM

This country is so stupid. I swear to god us Egyptians don’t deserve anything good. From the unnecessary use of his name and image everywhere without his permission to the unbelievably stupid idea of getting this guy into a political mess like this one, I can’t even believe the amount of stupidity this guy has to go through solely for being Egyptian. Thanks to this crap, now he is stuck with problems in Europe because he is now considered to be a supporter of a president suspected of human rights violations.

Oh and please don’t hit me with that, ”he doesn’t respect his country” and ”we don’t need him if he doesn’t want us” bullshit. This guy has always been respectful and never did anything wrong and this is his rewards..being dragged into situations that he never asked for an that tarnish his reputation. In addition to that, I’d say that he doesn’t need this country nearly as much as it needs him. Guy could probably change his nationality to any European country and be a starter on their team and live like a king with no headache from a country who’s GDP is probably lower than his semi-annual salary.

• Hosam

June 24, 2018 at 7:46 PM

You’re totally right!

• Sherif

June 24, 2018 at 9:22 PM

Amen thanks bro for this statement!

• Ahmed

June 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM

I agree bro

• Elgazmo

June 25, 2018 at 6:30 AM

You are correct.

I really feel bad for the guy.

I hope his posturing, if I can call it that, will be a wake up call to the EFA. Business as usual is not a high enough standard for an international talent of Salah’s caliber.

Culturally, we have thrown so much pressure, and expectation on Salah that it undermines so much of what we admire and love about him: his humility, his kindness, his generosity, and, of course, his football. But we just want to take and take. And we expect so much. And when they lose, we all curse them and turn our backs. Where’s the support? Where’s the love? The fact that we thought they would be the dark horse/Cinderella team of the tourney negates the possibility of being a dark horse! Nobody expects the dark horse! There was so much hype around Egypt and Salah. (admittedly, I bought into it too. My cousin called it though: he’d say, “Dont expect anything, man. We should be setting the goal of winning our first game at a World Cup. Nothing more.”)

This whole celebrity party on the eve of the Russia game and the political puppetry of Salah is a CATASTROPHE. There was plausible deniability for the photo op at the beginning of the Cup (being dragged out of bed and all), but the State dinner? A7a

I still really love this football squad. I do like the players and I do appreciate what Cuper brought. I don’t particularly appreciate the defensive “fear of losing” mentality, but I think that he improved organization and discipline while managing the campaign to the World Cup. He succeeded in achieving the goal he was asked to accomplish by the EFA.

Peace. I hope we get our first win. Yalla!

2. Ghana

June 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM

haha stupid Egyptians you though you were gonna do something this world cup. you qualified because you bribed referees and that is why Ghana is out. Ghana would have done much better had we been in the world cup.

• hanania

June 25, 2018 at 12:59 AM

don’t say that our sibling country Ghana, we have not money to bay as a bribe, we love compete your amazing team.
      concerning salah,he’s smart enough to put aside such nonsense and keep going on.
      support salah to recover psychologically and physically ,he lives now his hard times.
      Be optimistic.

• Elgazmo

June 25, 2018 at 5:52 AM

@ghana

First, as an Egyptian, I absolutely love Ghana, its people, and its football. I always support my African teams. Always.

Second, in case you don’t know this about Ghana, it recently dissolved its football association because of bribery, corruption, match-fixing, etc. so no need to talk crap. You lost that argument before you even started typing.

• Egyptian

June 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM

Very impressive,
      It is really a stupid comment.
      Has NO respect for Egyptians in general,
      I hope you watch your language

3. hanania

June 25, 2018 at 1:00 AM

Be optimistic.

4. Omnia

June 25, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Salah.. As Egyptian “you are our last hope” please don’t let us lose it

5. Mohamed

June 25, 2018 at 3:20 PM

The problem that the news already not true as announced today by Egypt authorized reps. today and you ppl like parrots repeating comments without being sure of the news itself….I wonder who truly believe that Mo Salah would suicide and ruin his career in this claimed manner.

Please wake up and know that Egyptians are better than you and deserve more respect and time will prove it.