Pyramids FC had €7m bid rejected by Sparta Prague for Nicolae Stanciu
Egyptian outfit Pyramids FC have had an African-record €7m bid rejected for Romania international and Sparta Prague midfielder Nicolae Stanciu.
The 25-year-old is plying his trade at Czech side Sparta Prague, joining from Anderlecht in January 2018, and has been one of the leading attacking midfielders in the HET Liga.
Pyramids have emerged as a potential destination for the Romanian as they have revealed their interest in signing the player as well as bidding €7m for him.
They also offered Stanciu a reported €2m salary per season, which would have made him the second most expensive player in African football after the arrival of Keno from Palmeiras last summer.
However, the Czech side rejected Pyramids’ offer and Stanciu released a statement, expressing his disappointment at not being able to join the Egyptian outfit.
“Hello Sparta fans, I would like to comment on what has been said at the press conference on Thursday and was published in media.
“I really had a transfer offer during the Christmas season. It was really interesting one for me, it was that kind of offer I could not even refuse from my personal point of view.
“However, Sparta decided not to release me because the transfer offer was not what the club imagined. I respect that and I remain a player of Sparta.
“The fact that I seriously considered leaving does not mean that I had not been honest in the interviews during the autumn.
“I did not know that this offer might come. I did not even think about it. Everything I said in the past I meant it,” he added.
Nicolae Stanciu has previously played for Romanian sides Alba Iulia, FC Vaslui, and Steaua București, before moving to Anderlecht and then Sparta Prague, joining the latter for a fee of £3.38m
On the international level, Stanciu represented the Romanian national team 21 times, scoring seven goals. He featured in Euro 2016, assisting once against France in the group opener.